Nigeria denies claims of Boko Haram abduction of 60 women, children

Abuja: Nigeria's government on Wednesday denied claims that Boko Haram militants abducted 60 women and children from the country's restive northeast, saying there was no evidence despite eyewitness testimony.

Government spokesman Mike Omeri told a news conference in Abuja that there was "nothing on the ground to prove any act of abduction, as reported."

 Nigeria denies claims of Boko Haram abduction of 60 women, children

Earlier, more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls had been kidnapped by Boko Haram. AP

A local government official in the Damboa district of Borno, a vigilante leader and an area senator had on Monday said that all the women and girls, some as young as three, were taken during a raid on Kummabza village in the last week.

Nigeria's military initially did not confirm or deny the abduction and Borno governor Kashim Shettima on Monday ordered an urgent probe, highlighting a recent reported abduction of at least 20 nomadic women from the same area.

Shettima said he was cautious because of subsequent counter-claims that the women had in fact moved elsewhere in the state as part of migration patterns among ethnic Fulani cattle breeders.

Omeri claimed that Shettima had established "that there were no sufficient facts on the alleged abduction." "We hereby wish to state that based on available facts before us there was no abduction of 60 persons in Borno state," Omeri added.

Nigeria's government was heavily criticised for its slow response to the mass abduction by Boko Haram militants of more than 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok, also in Borno, on 14 April, that triggered global outrage.

The military claimed in the days after the kidnapping that most of the girls had escaped, while President Goodluck Jonathan's wife, Patience, alleged that the abduction was a fabrication by her husband's political rivals to smear him. The claim was soon retracted.

Police in Borno said that 276 girls were kidnapped and that 53 escaped in the days following the attack. On 28 May, the authorities said that four more girls than previously thought had escaped, leaving 219 still held hostage.

The figures were confirmed in a report submitted to the government by a presidential fact-finding committee this week.

PTI

Your guide to the latest cricket World Cup stories, analysis, reports, opinions, live updates and scores on https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2019.html. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates throughout the ongoing event in England and Wales.

Updated Date: Jun 26, 2014 08:57:22 IST