CBFC chief Pahlaj Nihalani makes corruption charges against several films; denies exit rumours

Pahlaj Nihalani, in an interview with news18 makes some caustic remarks on Indian filmmakers and the system being corrupt.

FP Staff July 26, 2017 16:40:45 IST
CBFC chief Pahlaj Nihalani makes corruption charges against several films; denies exit rumours

Controversy's favourite child Pahlaj Nihalani, chief of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), is on a spree indeed.

If it's not for the various censoring he's been suggesting for films such as Jab Harry Met Sejal  and Indu Sarkar, in a recent interview with CNN News 18, Nihalani made some shocking revelations about bribery and corruption within filmmakers.

CBFC chief Pahlaj Nihalani makes corruption charges against several films denies exit rumours

Pahlaj Nihalani

Nihalani commented on the state of Indian filmmakers saying, "Most filmmakers are corrupt," and went on to add that such "corrupt filmmakers damage the system."

"Most clearances are given in exchange for money... Producers would pay money to clear films," says the CBFC chief.

The chief of CBFC also seems to have a good memory, especially with numbers. This conclusion has been drawn upon after Nihalani ranted about "corruption in films" and then reinforced his claims by further adding that middlemen, who were dealing with clearances for 2014 Salman Khan-starrer Kick, apparently paid around a lakh as bribe, so did Vidya Balan-starrer Bobby Jasoos.

Further he claimed, the board reportedly received around Rs 25000 as bribe for Rohit Shetty's Singham Returns, while Farah Khan's SRK-starrer Happy New Year paid Rs 50000 for four promos.

Recently, there were speculations that Nihalani might be shown the door from his office. But refuting any such developments, Nihalani told The Quint, "So far I have not heard of any such plans from the government. I am sure my well-wishers are holding their breath. But they can exhale for now. As far as being asked to relinquish my post as the CBFC chairperson is concerned, I leave the decision entirely to the government. It was they who asked me to take over in January 2015. The decision to hire me was a complete surprise to me. I immediately took charge and began working to the best of my abilities. If now I am asked to leave, I’d do so just as swiftly, wishing my successor all the best."

Updated Date:

also read

First ever Marathi zombie film Zombivili set to premiere on 20th May
Entertainment

First ever Marathi zombie film Zombivili set to premiere on 20th May

ZEE5 announces the World Digital Premiere of the first-ever Marathi zombie film, Zombivili on 20th May.

Chandraprakash Dwivedi says nothing offensive in 'Prithviraj'; Those with doubts will be satisfied
Entertainment

Chandraprakash Dwivedi says nothing offensive in 'Prithviraj'; Those with doubts will be satisfied

Filmmaker Chandraprakash Dwivedi on Monday said the team of his upcoming historical film "Prithviraj" has been respectful in depicting the life of the legendary warrior king Samrat Prithviraj Chauhan on the big screen.

Akshay Kumar on Prithviraj: It's an educational film, should be shown in schools
Entertainment

Akshay Kumar on Prithviraj: It's an educational film, should be shown in schools

Actor Akshay Kumar calls his upcoming film educational and says it should be shown in schools.