New Delhi: The Delhi unit of Indian National Congress on Sunday accused the Centre of being "complacent" in taking acting against Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and others who were "indicted" by the Shunglu Committee as it alleged the BJP of trying to "protect" his government.
Delhi unit president of Congress Ajay Maken, accompanied by other partymen, observed "maun vrat" at Mahatma Gandhi's memorial Rajghat to press for registration of FIR against Kejriwal and others in the matter.
The Shunglu Committee, which was formed by former Lt Governor Najeeb Jung to examine over 400 files on decisions taken by the AAP regime, had in November 2016 submitted its report to the lieutenant governor's office.
"Why the BJP-led central government is not taking action against those found guilty in the Shunglu Committee report and registering FIR against chief minister Kejriwal and others," Maken said after the demonstration.
The committee, headed by former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) V K Shunglu, examined 404 files pertaining to various decisions taken by the AAP government, and its findings have "unearthed many serious cases of corruption and irregularities", he said.
He alleged that the central government was "complacent" in taking action against the guilty on the findings in the report. He adding no action has been taken so far despite the report being submitted to the Lt Governor in November last year.
"The central government is still reluctant to act on the report as the BJP is trying to protect the Kejriwal government," he claimed.
Earlier this week, a delegation of Delhi Congress led by Maken had met President Pranab Mukherjee urging his intervention in this regard.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Apr 16, 2017 22:43:32 IST