Sengol, the 'Dharma Dand': 10 FACTS about India's symbol of power that Congress HID from you
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will install the golden sceptre near the Speaker’s seat. Traditionally called the ‘Sengol’, it has roots in Tamil culture
A historic sceptre, a ‘Sengol’, will be reintroduced in the new Parliament building which will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday, 28 May.
PM Modi will install the golden sceptre near the Speaker’s seat. Traditionally called the ‘Sengol’, it has roots in Tamil culture. The word Sengol means “righteousness.”
As Opposition boycotts the historic event, here is a look at 10 facts about India’s symbol of power – Sengol – that Congress hid from you.
10 FACTS about Sengol
1. The golden Sengol was studded with jewels
2. It was worth Rs. 15,000 at that time
3. Mountbatten asked Nehru about how to symbolise the transfer of power
4. Nehru asked Rajaji. Rajaji told Nehru that when tamil kings assumed power the Rajaguru would head over the sengol — Sengol — to the king and we can get a saint to do the same”
5. Rajaji got in touch with the Tiruvaduthurai Adheenam pontiff and requested him to do the sacred ritual
Also Read: ‘Golden walking stick gifted to Nehru’: Left-Congress ecosystem has censored Sengol’s history, says BJP
6. The Chief Pontiff of the Adheenam wasn’t well but he made all arrangements and got the Sengol — Sengol — with Rishab [Bull] on top of made by Vummidi Bangaru Chetty Jewellers
7. Sadaiyappa thambiran swami — the deputy of the Chief Pontiff — along with the singer [othuvar] Asthana Nadaswara Vidwan [the famous Rajarathinam Pillai] left for Delhi in a special flight arranged for them
8. On August 14, night at 11:45 the the singer sang the 13 verses from the Tamil text thevaram authored by saint Thirugnanasambandar [one of the four highly celebrated nayanmars] each of which ended with the blessing “you will rule it is my command”
9. The nadaswara vidwan Rajarathinam played the nadaswaram and Nehru was given the holy ash and a sandal mala
Must Read: Hands of Gold: PM Modi to honour 60,000 workers who built new Parliament building
10. After giving the sengol — thambiran swami told Pundit Nehru “this golden sengol is your sengol and symbol of our rule”.
Read all the Latest News, Trending News, Cricket News, Bollywood News,
India News and Entertainment News here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Who should inaugurate Parliament building? The political row explained
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the new Parliament building on 28 May. However, the event has triggered a political row between the Opposition and the government. Parties like the Congress and Trinamool argue that it’s an insult not to have the president do the honours
'Matter of happiness that a new Parliament was constructed in 2.5 years': Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman Harivansh
Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman Harivansh added that the 'day is an important milestone as it will prove to be a source of inspiration in the Amritkaal'
New Parliament Building Inauguration: PM Modi places 'Sengol' inside complex, seeks blessings of adheenams
Shortly after he arrived at the location, PM Modi attended a havan and performed a puja at the premises ahead of the inauguration