New Delhi: CBI on Friday denied sending any unsigned note to Law Ministry seeking opinion of law officers on the issue of including former Telecom minister Dayanidhi Maran's name in its charge sheet in Aircel Maxis case.
Rejecting media reports that an unsigned note carrying view of CBI director was sent to the ministry seeking the opinion of law officers, agency spokesperson Kanchan Prasad said, "This may not be considered an unsigned note, but reproduction of the original notings of the file in order to ensure secrecy. The typed material are sent on watermark paper, to ensure authenticity of the document."
The matter was referred for legal opinion as CBI Director Ranjit Sinha was of the view that there was no prosecutable evidence against Maran while Director of Prosecution held contrary view.
Prasad said according to prevalent practice, while seeking the opinion of the Attorney General, re-typed original comments of the Director CBI (and not the photocopy of the original note sheet) were sent to his office through DoPT and Law Ministry.
"We have not received any communication whatsoever from the office of Solicitor General so far in the Aircel-Maxis case. All queries raised by DoPT and Ministry of Law have already been replied," she said.
On the alleged delay in finalising the case, Prasad said the matter was raised before the Supreme Court during the hearing in May.
"The Supreme Court was apprised of the reasons behind such delay by CBI's counsel and the court expressed its satisfaction in the matter. Since the matter is sub-judice, it will not be appropriate for anyone to comment anything further," she said.
Your guide to the latest cricket World Cup stories, analysis, reports, opinions, live updates and scores on https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2019.html. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates throughout the ongoing event in England and Wales.
Updated Date: May 24, 2014 09:50:06 IST