Ten days ahead of the Municipal Corporations of Delhi (MCD) elections, the new political party led by Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan — Swaraj India — armed with its manifesto has given a big push to its poll campaigning by using ‘colour power’ and ‘environment’ as strong weapons to combat its opponents.
The upcoming MCD polls are going to be a litmus test for Swaraj India: the new party in the block. After winning the first round of battle by getting the ‘Whistle’ as the common symbol to contest Municipal Corporations of Delhi (MCD) elections, Swaraj India—the party formed out of Swaraj Abhiyan, a socio-political movement which emerged as a splinter group of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP)—wants voters across 272 seats in Delhi to identify themselves with the party colour: 'Basanti' colour, which is being used for party flags and head gear.
Anupam, chief spokesperson and leader of Swaraj India speaking to Firstpost. “Basanti colour, which is close to mustard seed colour, is also the colour of the Basanti flower which one can see with the onset of Basant season in India. It brings joy, happiness and a new energy. By adopting this colour, we also want to communicate to the people of Delhi that we aim at bringing happiness in their lives by making the city pollution-free and environment-friendly.”
Focusing on clean environment, epidemic-free, garbage-free and pollution-free Delhi, Swaraj India on Friday released it manifesto for MCD polls. “Swaraj India is not presenting a long list of promises for the sake of getting elected. Swaraj India makes only one promise: To serve Delhi with a clean heart and to make Delhi a clean city. Our aim is ‘saaf dil, saaf Dilli’. It’s not a mere claim, rather the party has a concrete action-plan to make Delhi a truly clean city,” said Swaraj India’s national president Yogendra Yadav.
“This is for the first time that any political party has made environment its central theme in electoral politics. We believe in it. In Delhi, which is a global city, pollution is a burning issue. It has given a bad name to India. No political party is bothered about it. It’s not even treated as a secondary issue,” added Anupam.
What does Swaraj India’s manifesto promise?
• Pollution-free Delhi: Main streets and lanes will be swept at night and washed so that it is not dusty during the day; restrictions will be imposed on builders from creating construction-related dust pollution; strict restrictions will be imposed on burning plastic and leaves anywhere in the city.
• Epidemic-free Delhi: MCD will run ‘Mission Dengue’ so that mosquito breeding is prevented round the year and prompt diagnosis and free treatment of dengue, malaria and chikungunya is possible. A control room will be set up for rainwater drainage in the city.
• Clean Delhi: All public places shall have toilets. Beautification of public parks. Regular licenses will be issued for pushcart vendors with fixed places of operation to avoid bribing inspectors and policemen, and clogging of streets. Licensed food carts will be under special surveillance for hygiene.
• Swaraj in Delhi: In all decisions related to keeping a locality clean, views of Residents’ Welfare Association (RWA) and Basti Sabha (slum body) will be taken. All RWAs will receive a consolidated grant for local maintenance and upkeep. Liquor vends in residential areas will be shut down if women oppose it.
• Schools and hospitals: Opinion of parents of students will be taken while running MCD schools. Vacant posts in schools will be filled. Demand will be made to Delhi Government to either run MCD schools or provide grant for meeting all expenses for the schools. MCD hospital will be handed over to Delhi government, if the latter wants it. Condition of small dispensaries will be improved.
• Clean Delhi Mission: All citizens and especially school children will be involved in ‘Clean Delhi Mission’ for cleaner environment.
“At a time when the political parties responsible for the present deplorable state of MCD are again making appeals for votes, Swaraj India has emerged as a true alternative. BJP, which has ruled MCD for the last ten years, is directly responsible for the filth and corruption that MCD is marred with. While, Congress is at the root of every problem and scam of Delhi, AAP has only betrayed the public in the last two years,” Yadav said.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Apr 15, 2017 14:00:05 IST