Yemen cholera outbreak: 1,600 people dead as suspected cases surpass 300,000, says Red Cross

The International Committee of the Red Cross said the cholera epidemic in Yemen 'continues to spiral out of control' since it erupted in April.

AFP July 10, 2017 20:40:11 IST
Yemen cholera outbreak: 1,600 people dead as suspected cases surpass 300,000, says Red Cross

Geneva: A cholera outbreak in Yemen has now surpassed 300,000 suspected cases, the Red Cross said on Monday as the war-torn country reels from disease as well as the threat of famine.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said the cholera epidemic "continues to spiral out of control" since it erupted in April.

"Today, over 300,000 people are suspected to be ill. More than 1,600 have died," it said in a Twitter post.

ICRC regional director Robert Mardini said about 7,000 new cholera cases were being recorded daily in the capital Sanaa and three other areas.

The collapse of Yemen's infrastructure after more than two years of war between the Saudi-backed government and Shiite rebels who control Sanaa has made for a "perfect storm for cholera", according to the World Health Organization.

Yemen cholera outbreak 1600 people dead as suspected cases surpass 300000 says Red Cross

People being treated for cholera in Yemen. AP

Cholera is a highly contagious bacterial infection spread through contaminated food or water.

Although the disease is easily treatable, doing so in Yemen has proved particularly difficult. The war has left less than half of the country's medical facilities functional.

The WHO's own figures for the outbreak list 262,649 suspected cases and 1,587 deaths as of 2 July, in 21 of 23 Yemeni governorates. It is expected to update those numbers shortly.

The battle against cholera has caused aid groups to pull resources away from fighting malnutrition among Yemen's war-weary people, raising the risk of famine as they struggle to find funds, a UN official warned last week.

Jamie McGoldrick, the UN's humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, said much of the $1.1 billion (966,000 euros) in aid pledged by donor governments in April to deal with the hard-pressed population's needs had yet to be disbursed, leaving relief agencies struggling to get their hands on new money.

"Humanitarian organisations have had to reprogramme their resources away from malnutrition and reuse them to control the cholera outbreak," he said in Sanaa on Thursday.

"And if we don't get these resources replaced, then using those resources for cholera will mean that food insecurity will suffer.

"We're trying to do our best, but it's very much beyond what we can cope with."

About 17 million people — two-thirds of Yemen's population — are uncertain of where their next meal will come from, according to the World Food Programme.

Updated Date:

also read

India's COVID-19 toll the highest, says WHO; government questions validity of model
India

India's COVID-19 toll the highest, says WHO; government questions validity of model

According to the report, there were 4.7 million COVID deaths in India -- 10 times the official figures and almost a third of COVID deaths globally

Congress slams government over WHO COVID-19 death figures, demands commission to analyse fatalities
Politics

Congress slams government over WHO COVID-19 death figures, demands commission to analyse fatalities

According to the WHO report, there were 4.7 million excess COVID-19 deaths in India, which is 10 times the official figure and almost a third of COVID-19 deaths globally

WHO COVID-19 death report 'baseless', attempt to 'tarnish' India's image, say state health ministers
World

WHO COVID-19 death report 'baseless', attempt to 'tarnish' India's image, say state health ministers

According to the ministers, India has a robust, efficient and comprehensive system for registering deaths and all COVID-19 fatalities are systematically recorded transparently following a legal process