Second suspect in Boston Marathon bombing nabbed alive

New York: America rejoiced as the Boston Police Department tweeted that their manhunt had ended, “the terror is over, and justice has won." A heavily armed tactical team captured and arrested 19-year-old college student Dzhokhar Tsarnaev at about 8:45 pm on Friday.

"We got him," tweeted Boston Mayor Tom Menino in celebration. “Your mayor is very proud of you,” he said acknowledging the police work.

Heavily armed police and SWAT teams went door-to-door in the Boston suburb of Watertown in search of Tsarnev, who is the second of the two crazed Boston Marathon bombers. Police were tipped off by a resident who saw blood on his  boat.

Sure enough, after the tip-off, gunshots rang out at about 7 pm in Watertown with Tsarnaev found hiding in a covered boat parked along the side of a two-storey house on Franklin Street. Massachusetts State Police, with the help of an infrared camera, saw the suspect moving inside the boat.

Bostonians rejoice after the manhunt for the Boston bomber ended dramatically with his arrest. Reuters

Bostonians rejoice after the manhunt for the Boston bomber ended dramatically with his arrest. Reuters

A robot was used to search the area for bombs, while heavily armed tactical teams were massing in the area. Police surrounded Tsarnaev’s hideout but approached the boat with caution because Tsarnaev was believed to be wearing or holding explosive devices. It was a dramatic development, which came just after police said their hunt for the 19-year-old had gone cold.

The radicalised Muslim brothers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, are the only suspects identified so far by police in Monday’s bombing near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The twin explosions killed three and left more than 170 wounded.

The drama came after a day of carjacking and high-speed car chases as the bomber brothers tried to flee police in a string of shootouts. On Thursday night, hours after the FBI released photos and surveillance videos of the Tsarnaev brothers at the scene of the bombing, they killed a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) police officer.

After the MIT shooting, the pair hijacked a Mercedes SUV. They released the driver after holding him for about 30 minutes and fled in the stolen car. The brothers then led police on a wild chase through city streets that included a shootout. It emerged last night that 200 rounds and explosives were used in the firefight with police. The chase ended in Watertown, where officials said the pair threw explosive devices from the car. A police officer, 33-year-old Richard Donohue, was shot and critically wounded, authorities said.

Older brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev died at a Boston hospital after suffering what doctors said were multiple gunshot wounds. According to the Associated Press, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev somehow slipped away, and in the process apparently ran over his already wounded brother. He has been the target of the intense manhunt since the shootout around 1 a.m. on Friday.

As the hunt for Dzhokhar intensified, officers methodically cordoned off a 20-block area in the city’s Watertown district and surrounded the house with the boat in Franklin Street.

Updated Date: Apr 20, 2013 07:55 AM

Also Watch

Watch: Firstpost test rides the new Thunderbird 500X in Goa and walks you through the Royal Enfield Garage Cafe
  • Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Varun Dhawan on Shoojit Sircar's October, 5-star reviews and working with Anushka Sharma in Sui Dhaaga
  • Saturday, April 14, 2018 Ambedkar Jayanti: Re-visiting Babasaheb's ideals exposes fake Dalit politics of Rahul Gandhi and Congress
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See