October to be decisive month for refugees entering Australia, or else 'the game's up'

Refugees entering Australia have until October to prove their status. If unable to do so, they face the option of being kicked out and banned from re-entering Australia.

AFP May 21, 2017 13:16:05 IST
October to be decisive month for refugees entering Australia, or else 'the game's up'

Sydney: On 21 May, Australia gave 7,500 migrants until October to prove that they are genuine refugees or they would be kicked out, declaring the "game is up" for 'illegal' arrivals who are ripping off taxpayers.

Over the previous five years, on more than 800 boats an estimated 50,000 asylum-seekers flooded into Australia. This occurred before the Conservatives took power and adopted a tough line on the issue in 2013.

Hundreds more, many from war-torn Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, and West Asia, died at sea during the treacherous journey.

Of those arrivals, the old Labor government processed nearly 20,000, leaving 30,500 to the current administration. Some 7,500 of them have yet to present their cases for asylum or are refusing to answer questions about their identity, while claiming welfare benefits, casting doubt on whether they really need protection.

October to be decisive month for refugees entering Australia or else the games up

File image of Syrian refugees. AFP.

Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, Peter Dutton, said, "This is a very serious situation, and it's costing Australian taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars a year;" he added that if the refugees fail to lodge a claim by 1 October, they will be removed from the country and banned from re-entering.

Moreover, Dutton said, "So if people think that they can rip the Australian taxpayer off, if people think they can con the Australian taxpayer, then I'm sorry, the game's up. We are prepared to support people who are legitimate refugees, but we aren't going to support people who are just accessing welfare...and then refusing to provide any information in relation to their protection claim."

Of the 30,500 left to the current government to process, 23,000 have applied for protection. So far, 3,000 have been assessed as not genuine refugees. Dutton said the cost of processing and supporting the 50,000 "boatpeople" amounted to AUD 1.9 billion ($1.4 billion) a year. Commenting on the right of Australians, Dutton said, "Australians have every right to question why an estimated 80 percent of illegal maritime arrivals arrived without any identity documents."

Under its current Operation Sovereign Borders, which has managed to halt the flood of boat arrivals, Canberra sends asylum-seekers who try to reach Australia to remote camps in Papua New Guinea and Nauru. They are blocked from resettling in Australia even if found to be refugees. These camps have been widely criticised by human rights groups, but the government has defended its position, which includes turning boats back, as necessary to stem the waves of migration that characterised previous administrations.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Sri Lanka Cricket employee tests positive for coronavirus, isolated with immediate effect
First Cricket News

Sri Lanka Cricket employee tests positive for coronavirus, isolated with immediate effect

The infected employee was found to be positive for coronavirus, following a PCR test carried out on Saturday.

South Africa vs Sri Lanka: Players fitness in focus as teams prepare for second Test at Johannesburg
First Cricket News

South Africa vs Sri Lanka: Players fitness in focus as teams prepare for second Test at Johannesburg

South Africa coach Mark Boucher has acknowledged the challenge of assessing fitness in times of coronavirus and hinted there could be some rotation in the pace attack.

Sri Lanka vs England: Visitors' Moeen Ali infected with new UK variant of COVID-19, say local health authorities
First Cricket News

Sri Lanka vs England: Visitors' Moeen Ali infected with new UK variant of COVID-19, say local health authorities

Deputy Chief Epidemiologist Hemantha Herath told reporters in Colombo that the 33-year-old England all-rounder was Sri Lanka's first case of the UK strain, which is believed to be more transmissible.