Notre Dame attack: Algerian man charged with terrorism

An Algerian man who was shot after attacking a policeman with a hammer at the Notre Dame cathedral last week was charged by a French court with terrorism.

IANS June 11, 2017 10:30:46 IST
Notre Dame attack: Algerian man charged with terrorism

Paris: An Algerian man who was shot after attacking a policeman with a hammer at the Notre Dame cathedral last week was charged by a French court with terrorism.

Notre Dame attack Algerian man charged with terrorism

Police officers seal access to Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. AP

Judiciary sources told Efe news that Farid Ikken, 40, was charged on Saturday with attempted terrorist homicide of a person vested with public authority, and with criminal association for extremist purposes.

Prosecutor Francois Molins told the media that Ikken had been radicalized very quickly, alone and by means of the Internet.

The first elements of the investigation present Ikken as an individual influenced by propaganda from the Islamic State (IS) terror group, to which he vows his loyalty in a video.

At his home in Cergy on the outskirts of Paris, police found on his computer, his camera and his mobile phone, numerous propaganda documents of that terrorist organisation along with news about the attacks in the French capital in November 2015 and in Brussels in March 2016.

Among them is an "action manual for lone wolves", Molins said, adding that the man describes himself as a "soldier of the caliphate".

Ikken, who was born in 1977 and who wounded the policeman in the neck with a hammer purchased at a supermarket, had decided to take action a few days before doing so.

He was brought down by a colleague of the agent, who shot him in the side.

Updated Date:

also read

Battle against COVID-19 has made value of global innovation greater than ever before
World

Battle against COVID-19 has made value of global innovation greater than ever before

The creative economy, and underlying innovation, has faced a marked slowdown owing to the pandemic —something that we cannot afford to ignore

PSL 2021: Remainder of tournament might be devoid of overseas recruits due to other commitments
First Cricket News

PSL 2021: Remainder of tournament might be devoid of overseas recruits due to other commitments

The franchises have asked the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to call a meeting of the PSL governing council after it became apparent that many of the overseas players, who appeared in the league in February-March, might not be available on resumption.

IPL 2021: Shubman Gill 'wants to take the game on,' says Kolkata Knight Riders' Pat Cummins
First Cricket News

IPL 2021: Shubman Gill 'wants to take the game on,' says Kolkata Knight Riders' Pat Cummins

"He's good, he's young. He wants to take the game on and is really relaxed," the star Aussie pacer said in an Instagram live by KKR in the build-up to their opening IPL match against Sunrisers Hyderabad on Sunday.