India's IT decision makers are planning to adopt open-source solutions in the near future: Study

A study conducted by Red Hat has found that most Indian IT decision makers are planning to adopt open-source software.


A study conducted by Red Hat has found that most Indian IT decision makers are planning to adopt open-source software.

The study, conducted in partnership with market research firm Forrester Consulting, found that 51 percent of ‘IT decision makers’ have already adopted open-source and that the remaining 49 percent intend to do so over the next 12 months.

"The power of participation and collaboration of open source is no longer just an IT initiative but has become a top business priority for many enterprises in India," said Rajesh Rege, Managing Director, Red Hat, India, in a statement.

"Respondents from India anticipate that their organisation's use of open source will increase in Internet of Things by 45 per cent whereas 43 per cent believe that open source will help increase their agile hybrid Cloud infrastructure, application development and DevOps environments," the study noted.

The study surveyed 455 CIOs and senior IT decision makers from nine countries in the Asia Pacific.

Red Hat is a company that provides open-source solutions to enterprise companies, with Red Hat Enterprise Linux being its most popular offering.

Do note that open-source software doesn’t mean ‘free’ software. When software is open-source, its source code is available to everyone to modify and distribute. There are no licensing fees.

Software developed in this manner is usually collaborative in nature, and arguably, more secure.

With inputs from PTI


Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.