Android 7.0 Nougat adoption grows to 2.8 percent

The latest Android update is now steadily growing and is currently on 2.8 percent of total active Android devices.

It has been good six months since Google launched Android 7.0 Nougat in late August last year. The latest version of Google's mobile operating system initially saw slow growth but according to the latest Google Play distribution data, is now running on 2.8 percent of total active Android devices.

Android 7.0 is currently on about 2.4 percent devices and Android 7.1 has a 0.4 percent share. The combined 2.8 percent is a significant growth as a month back this number was half at 1.6 percent.

Other significant sightings from the distribution data include Android Marshmallow having a total share of 31.3 percent of Android devices which again a growth compared to 30.7 percent which was reported back in November. Android Lollipop is now at 32.5 percent of total active Android devices making it the highest and beating Marshmallow.

Android 7.0 Nougat adoption grows to 2.8 percent

Android KitKat (4.4) has gone down to 20.8 percent of devices compared to 21.9 percent last month. Jelly Bean adoption is at 10.6 percent while Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Android Gingerbread registered a share of 1 percent each.

Fragmentation is still an issue with Android and will probably remain one of the biggest flaws of the OS. Having a large number of manufacturers leads to slow deployment of OS updates.

Google also released the OpenGL version distribution numbers where OpenGL 2.0 at 39.5 percent, and OpenGL version 3.0 rose to 42.3 percent.

Tech2 is now on WhatsApp. For all the buzz on the latest tech and science, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Tech2.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.






also see

science