Adivasis and the Indian State: Facing govt apathy and discrimination, Kashmir's Gujjar Bakarwal tribe struggles to preserve nomadic way of life
Facing discrimination and government apathy, several Gujjar and Bakarwal tribals in Jammu and Kashmir have sacrificed their tradition of a ‘moving life’ for a relatively peaceful and sedentary lifestyle
Bihar lawyer files case against Priyanka Gandhi for criticising Pehlu Khan case verdict, accuses her of spreading communal hatred
An advocate in Bihar's Muzaffarabad has filed a case alleging that Priyanka Gandhi Vadra's reaction to the judgment in Pehlu Khan lynching case was tantamount to the contempt of court and aimed at spreading communal hatred
Rajasthan court acquits all 6 accused in 2017 Pehlu Khan lynching case; judge refuses to accept video as evidence
Pehlu Khan was beaten up by cow vigilantes near Behror in Rajasthan on 1 April 2017 and succumbed to injuries two days later.
In western UP, places like Mathura show cow protection can go hand-in-hand with the development agenda
In the midst of an ongoing controversy over stray cattle ruining farmers' crops in western Uttar Pradesh and apparently causing resentment against the government, Mathura offers a model of protecting cows from slaughter in a way that is perfectly in sync with people’s religious sentiments for the sacred animal
'Cow vigilantes' beat 24-year-old cattle trader for 2 hours in Rohtak, police chain victim instead of taking him to hospital
Naushad Muhammed, a dairy worker, was thrashed by alleged cow vigilantes on the suspicion that he was transporting cows for slaughter, but his employer said he was transporting buffaloes for trade.
Field report from 13 sites of hate crime in Uttar Pradesh: Lingering fear, distrust, justice delayed and denied
With 92 attacks, 2018 recorded the most hate crime in India in a decade, according to Hate Crime Watch, a database of religious identity-based hate crimes across India from 2009 to 2018.
UP's law-and-order woes under Yogi Adityanath raise key question: Has CM turned into embarrassment for BJP?
The Bulandshahr incident points to the dangers of two diametrically opposed strategies that the Yogi Adityanath government has followed since coming to power
Swami Vivekananda and a civilisation in resurgence: Remembering the monk on his 155th birth anniversary
As religion is now becoming a political cause against a particular religious community, Vivekananda is not only prevalent but also relevant in current time.
Rajasthan police deliberately weakened Pehlu Khan lynching case, says independent report; family sees little hope for justice
An independent fact-finding investigation into lynching of Pehlu Khan has exposed how police tried to "weaken" the investigation
Cow vigilantes pose a threat to Kerala's plans to achieve self-sufficiency in milk production, the state's animal husbandry minister said.
CPM chief Sitaram Yechury on Wednesday attacked the Narendra Modi government over growing incidents of lynchings and demanded that cow vigilante groups must be banned.
The Uttar Pradesh government is mulling making sweets made of cow-milk available as 'prasad' at temples by Navratra, state dairy minister Laxmi Narayan Chaudhary said.
The All India Kisan Sabha (AIKS) on Monday accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of uttering "hypocritical rhetoric" on the violence unleashed by cow vigilantes and accused him of "running with the hare and hunting with the hounds".
The Centre said the ban on sale and purchase of cattle from markets for slaughter had nothing to with slaughtering business or food habits.
Police on Sunday said that interrogation of the main accused in the lynching of 16-year-old Hafiz Junaid was being done in Faridabad to get to the bottom of the incident.
The Mumbai police on Tuesday seized around 700 kilograms of meat, suspected to be beef, from a tempo at Shivaji Nagar in suburban Govandi.
The co-organiser of the Not In My Name protest in Delhi, Rahul Roy, and activist Shabnam Hashmi, spoke to Firstpost about what the marches have been able to achieve
New Delhi: Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Saturday shot off a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi saying imposing restrictions on cattle trade will affect the country's secular ethos and millions of livelihoods.
Slaughter houses gets only 10 percent of the cattle directly from farmers. The rest 90 percent is from mandis, according to meat exporters
On 31 March, 2017, the Gujarat state assembly amended the state's cow protection laws to extend the maximum sentence for cow slaughter from seven years to a life term and a fine of up to Rs 5 lakh.