Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday released figures which claimed that the anti-Romeo squads in the state were a "huge success".
An official statement said that in a little more than two months, over 3.38 lakh people have been warned to behave and not to repeat "mistakes" like eve-teasing (molestation), passing lewd comments and engaging in obscene acts in public places.
A total of 538 cases were filed and legal action has been initiated against 1,264 people, an official said.
These actions, he further stated, were taken against people at malls, markets, outside schools, colleges and educational institutions, bus and railway stations.About 7.42 lakh people were questioned.
Anti-Romeo squads, a poll promise of the BJP that secured a remarkable victory in the Uttar Pradesh election, had earlier drew criticism from certain quarters, with visuals of policemen targeting young boys and girls going viral on TV and on social media.
The state government, the official told IANS, has, however cautioned the police and the anti-Romeo squads not to harass innocent people or take penal action like shaving off heads and blackening faces.
Your guide to the latest cricket World Cup stories, analysis, reports, opinions, live updates and scores on https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2019.html. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates throughout the ongoing event in England and Wales.
Updated Date: May 30, 2017 15:46:22 IST