Sikkim extends total lockdown till 1 August as state reports first COVID-19 death

The hilly state has recorded nearly 500 coronavirus cases so far, of which 357 are active cases.

Press Trust of India July 26, 2020 18:53:06 IST
Sikkim extends total lockdown till 1 August as state reports first COVID-19 death

The Sikkim government has extended the statewide lockdown till 1 August to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, according to a notification.

A complete, six-day lockdown, imposed by the hilly state, was scheduled to end on Sunday.

"After careful consideration of the situation, it has been decided to extend the period of lockdown in the entire state of Sikkim till 6 am of 1 August, 2020," a notification issued by Chief Secretary SC Gupta said.

Follow Latest Updates on Coronavirus Outbreak here

The state reported its first COVID-19 death on Sunday after a 74-year-old man succumbed to the disease at a state-run hospital, the official said.

Sikkim has 357 active cases of COVID-19, while the total cases stand at 499, a senior health official said. As many as 142 people have recovered from the disease.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Sikkim to reopen for tourists from 10 October; SOPs for hotels, other tourism-related services expected soon
India

Sikkim to reopen for tourists from 10 October; SOPs for hotels, other tourism-related services expected soon

The Himalayan state has also decided to open its border with West Bengal for unrestricted movement of vehicles from 1 October, officials said

UNGA adopts resolution calling for 'international cooperation' against COVID-19; US votes against it
World

UNGA adopts resolution calling for 'international cooperation' against COVID-19; US votes against it

The resolution acknowledges the key leadership role of the WHO and the fundamental role of the United Nations system in catalysing the global response to COVID-19

'Enough is enough': China tells US at UN meeting after Donald Trump accuses Beijing of unleashing 'plague of COVID-19'
World

'Enough is enough': China tells US at UN meeting after Donald Trump accuses Beijing of unleashing 'plague of COVID-19'

China's UN Ambassador Zhang Jun rejected Trump's accusations of China spreading COVID-19 as 'baseless' and said, 'Lies repeated a thousand times still lie'