Australian officials dismiss the 'death dive' theory over missing MH370 flight

An Australian government agency in charge of the ongoing search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has reportedly retracted a published theory that the aircraft crashed into the sea after a 'death dive'

IANS August 12, 2016 17:16:59 IST
Australian officials dismiss the 'death dive' theory over missing MH370 flight

Canberra: An Australian government agency in charge of the ongoing search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has reportedly retracted a published theory that the aircraft crashed into the sea after a "death dive".

Earlier this week, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said it was unlikely that the plane's captain glided the plane into the sea, and instead said engine failure due to lack of fuel had sparked a sudden "death dive" into the southern Indian Ocean, Xinhua news agency reported.

Australian officials dismiss the death dive theory over missing MH370 flight

Representational image. Reuters

ATSB Chief Commissioner Greg Hood told The Australian daily that the agency had come to a consensus with a number of other agencies about the theory, including aircraft manufacturer Boeing, the US National Transport Safety Board and the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation.

At the time, he said analysis of satellite data by Defence Department scientists concluded the plane made a sudden and rapid descent at more than 10 times the usual descent rate.

But on Friday, independent investigators noticed the ATSB had withdrawn the claim from its website without explanation.

Richard Godfrey from an independent group of MH370 expert observers told News Corp that he noticed the "consensus" claim had been deleted after it was picked up by computer tracker.

Godfrey said the deletion of the consensus theory could mean that not all experts on the strategy group agree with the "death dive" consensus.

"Another possibility is that it was assumed there was a consensus, but then some party complained and the published report had to be changed," he said.

MH370 was carrying 239 passengers and crew from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing when it disappeared on 8 March, 2014.

Updated Date:

also read

‘None of China’s business’: US stands with India after joint military drills
World

‘None of China’s business’: US stands with India after joint military drills

The US has reaffirmed that it stands with India in the face of China’s objections to joint military drills between the two countries in the border state of Uttarakhand

Asian markets mostly rise as China avoids another night of protests
World

Asian markets mostly rise as China avoids another night of protests

Frustration over China's hardline Covid restrictions has sparked a weekend of rare protests nationwide, and security forces have filled the streets of major cities such as Beijing and Shanghai

China bishop appointment violates 2018 deal, says Vatican
World

China bishop appointment violates 2018 deal, says Vatican

The Vatican last month said it had renewed for the second time the secretive deal allowing both Beijing and the Holy See a say in appointing bishops in China