Two days after a seven-year-old boy's throat was slit by a bus conductor of a Gurugram school for allegedly resisting the sexual assault, another case of a five-year-old girl being raped by a peon inside the premises of a private school in Shahdara in Delhi, has sent shock waves across the country.
The rape case took place on Saturday morning, but it came to the light on Saturday evening, following which the Delhi government has announced a magisterial probe into the case.
The inquiry will be headed by SDM Vivek Vihar, Delhi revenue minister Kailash Gehlot said.
— Kailash Gahlot (@kgahlot) September 10, 2017
The accused, Vikas (40), was arrested on Saturday night, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Shahdara, Nupur Prasad said.
Vikas, who is from Jharkhand and has two teenage children, had been working in the school for the last three years. Previously he was a security guard there, the police said. According to them, before being employed in this school, Vikas had worked in two other schools.
The accused took the girl to an empty classroom around noon on Saturday and raped her. He also threatened her of dire consequences if she informed anyone about it, the police said. The girl later complained to her mother about bleeding and pain. She was taken to a hospital where medical examination confirmed sexual assault, they said, adding the victim has been sent for counselling.
According to the police, the girl, during counselling, said she was assaulted by "a man wearing a cap" and also described his physical attributes. On the basis of this description Vikas was nabbed, they said, adding it is being probed whether he had abused any other students in the past. So far he has got no criminal history, the police said. Following the incident, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said a protocol would be chalked out for all city schools to ensure safety of students.
Shameful. Won't be tolerated. Police doing its job. Ordered magsterial enquiry. Will develop protocol 4 all schools 2 ensure children safety https://t.co/YxycU5KTjI — Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) September 10, 2017
The Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) has issued a notice to the school seeking details of Vikas' appointment and whether his police verification was carried out.
DCW chief Swati Maliwal tweeted, "1st Praduman & now dis! Wat wil parents do if horrific crime occur in schools. DCW issuing notice to this school! R team's assisting victim (sic)".
Meanwhile, the girl's uncle told PTI, "She was discharged from the hospital today. She is emotionally quite disturbed. The school administration is not taking responsibility for the act that took place inside their premises."
The girl's mother demanded that the school should be shut down and the uncle too echoed similar views, saying, "The accused has been arrested but we want the license of the school to be revoked."
"Strict action should be taken against the management of the school and a case should be registered against them for negligence," he said.
According to The Indian Express, she also said no investigation is being conducted in the case. “Koi karyawahi nahi ho rahi hai. Aaj meri bachi ke saath hua hai kal kisi aur ke saath ho sakta hai, chahte hain ki school band ho,” she told ANI.
The girl's father repairs sewing machines. Her elder brother studies in another school.
Recalling Saturday's incident, the victim's uncle said the girl came back from school looking scared and initially did not tell her mother anything.
Later, she went to the washroom where her mother saw bloodstains. She was taken to Chacha Nehru Hospital in Geeta Colony where it was confirmed that she had been sexually assaulted, he said.
The girl's uncle said one of the teachers from the girl's school had come to visit her, but she was not ready to accept that the incident could have happened inside the school.
"Nobody else from the school turned up to meet us since then," he said, adding they are not going to send her back to that school.
"We keep hearing slogans of 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao'. How can we send our girls to school when they are so unsafe?" he said.
On Friday morning, a Class II student of a private school in Gurugram was found murdered in the school premises.
The boy, Pradyumna, was a student of Ryan International School in Bhondsi. Its officiating principal Neerja Batra said the school gardener saw his body lying in a pool of blood in the washroom meant for the school's support staff at about 8:15 am. As the news of the boy's death spread, angry parents gathered at the school and asked how the murderer could not have been caught on any of the CCTV cameras. A few parents ransacked the school property and the school authorities had to call additional police force to control the parents.
Later, hundreds of people on Sunday staged a demonstration outside the Ryan International School in Gurugram demanding a CBI probe into the murder of a seven-year-old school boy and set afire a liquor shop near the school.
Police used batons to quell the protest and detained 20 protestors. Cameras of some photojournalists were also damaged during the protest.
Published Date: Sep 10, 2017 11:01 am | Updated Date: Sep 10, 2017 07:36 pm