Shakti Mills rape case: Bombay High Court pulls up Maharashtra govt over delay in death penalty confirmation
Bombay High Court pulled up the Maharashtra govt for its "insensitivity" in the Shakti Mills gangrape case in April 2014
The Maharashtra government is eyeing the Shakti Mill land — which was in the spotlight after a brutal gang rape in 2013 — to fund loan waiver for farmers
The Bombay High Court on Friday is likely to hear the death sentence confirmation petition of three convicts in the 2013 Shakti Mills gangrape case.
Maharashtra government has begun process for taking over the infamous Shakti Mills complex, where the gangrape of a photojournalist had shocked the nation.
Public Works Department (PWD) officials informed Justice NM Jamdar that they have completed securing of the outer wall of the mills' premises by fencing it with barbed wire and a gate.
The premises are in the possession of the Official Liquidator of the Bombay High Court for the last 16 years.
"The court today completed recording the deposition of three witnesses who were recalled yesterday. It will start hearing the final arguments tomorrow after which the verdict may come out," Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told PTI.
The section provides for death punishment to those accused, who have been convicted earlier under section 376 of IPC for rape.
The additional charges were framed under section 376 (e) of the IPC for repeated offence after court accepted the prosecution's application on the count.
The prosecution has filed an application seeking to invoke additional charges that could invite the death penalty against the three common offenders in this case. The additional charges pertain to a repeat offence in a gang rape case.
The final arguments in Shakti Mill telephone operator gangrape case were concluded by the defence on Tuesday, paving the way for pronouncement of judgment by the court.
A Mumbai sessions court, conducting the trial in the Shakti mill telephone operator gangrape case, on Monday allowed defence lawyers to examine the editor of a city-based English daily as a witness.
The 22-year-old magazine photojournalist had gone with her colleague to the deserted Shakti Mills compound located in the central Mumbai, on an assignment on 22 August last year when five men gangraped her at the abandoned mill, after bashing him up.
The magazine also mentions other major rape cases that followed, including the gangrape of a photo journalist in Mumbai this year.
The friend of the 18-year-old telephone operator who was allegedly gang-raped at the Shakti Mills compound on July 31 deposed before the court here today.
The defence lawyers had last month sought time from the court to cross-examine the survivor. During her examination by the prosecution, the girl had sought court's permission to beat up the accused in the court.
Two more prosecution witnesses today deposed before the Sessions court here in the case related to the gangrape of an 18-year-old telephone operator at the Shakti Mills compound here on July 31
Out of the five accused in the telephone operator's gangrape, three were also found to be involved in the August 22 photojournalist gangrape case, in the same mill compound.
The spots inside the Shakti Mills compound here where an 18-year-old telephone operator and a 23-year-old photo-journalist were allegedly gangraped on July 31 and August 22 lie in radius of 300 metres from each other, a witness told a sessions court today