Nick Kyrgios seeks assault case dismissed due to mental health: Reports

Nick Kyrgios who was not required to appear for the largely administrative hearing, is in Tokyo to take part in the Japan Open.

Agence France-Presse October 04, 2022 09:09:25 IST
Nick Kyrgios seeks assault case dismissed due to mental health: Reports

Nick Kyrgios will apply to have an assault charge dismissed on mental health grounds, his lawyer told an Australian court. AP

Sydney: Tennis superstar Nick Kyrgios will seek to have an assault charge against him dismissed on mental health grounds, Australian media reported Tuesday.

Kyrgios’s lawyer appeared for him at a hearing in Canberra magistrates court, where the Australian player faces a charge of common assault.

The 27-year-old Wimbledon finalist, who was not required to appear for the largely administrative hearing, is in Tokyo to take part in the Japan Open.

His lawyer, Michael Kukulies-Smith, sought an adjournment to allow time for a mental health assessment to be carried out, according to media including public broadcaster ABC and the Sydney Morning Herald.

Kukulies-Smith said his client’s mental health issues were well known and he would seek to have the charge dismissed at a later date, they said.

The world number 20, at his first tournament since losing in the quarter-finals of the US Open last month, said earlier on Monday he had been dealing with the case “for months” and was taking it “day by day”.

“There’s only so much I can control and I’m taking all the steps and dealing with that off the court,” Kyrgios, one of the most polarising figures in tennis, told reporters in Tokyo.

“I can only do what I can and I’m here in Tokyo and just trying to play some good tennis, continue that momentum and just try to do my job — and that’s play tennis, play it well. That’s it.”

Kyrgios is likely to appear in person when the hearing returns to court.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled for 3 February.

Read all the Latest News, Trending NewsCricket News, Bollywood NewsIndia News and Entertainment News here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Updated Date:

also read

Carlos Alcaraz hails 'amazing achievement' at finishing as youngest-ever World No 1
Tennis

Carlos Alcaraz hails 'amazing achievement' at finishing as youngest-ever World No 1

Carlos Alcaraz will be 19 years, 214 days on 5 December, the 2022 year-end ranking date when he will take the mantle of youngest from Australia's Lleyton Hewitt, who was 20 years, 275 days in 2001.

ATP Finals: Novak Djokovic beats Rublev to reach semis, Stefanos Tsitsipas wins thirller vs Medvedev
Tennis

ATP Finals: Novak Djokovic beats Rublev to reach semis, Stefanos Tsitsipas wins thirller vs Medvedev

After Novak Djokovic reached the last four of the ATP finals, Stefanos Tsitsipas will face Andrey Rublev in the final group match with a semis spot at stake.

Men's tennis tour payouts up $37.5 million to above $215 million in 2023
Tennis

Men's tennis tour payouts up $37.5 million to above $215 million in 2023

The ATP is also increasing its 2023 bonus pools to $21.3 million, an 85% increase from 2022.