Men’s doubles world number one Robert Farah says he tested positive for banned substance Boldenona

Farah said he would consult his group of advisors and consider the next steps to prove he did not deliberately consume the banned substance

Reuters January 15, 2020 09:08:02 IST
Men’s doubles world number one Robert Farah says he tested positive for banned substance Boldenona
  • Men’s doubles world number one Robert Farah said on Tuesday that he tested positive for a banned substance, hours after the Colombian pulled out of the Australian Open citing personal reasons

  • Farah, 32, said the International Tennis Federation (ITF) informed him that he had tested positive for Boldenona

  • Farah said he would consult his group of advisors and consider the next steps to prove he did not deliberately consume the banned substance

Melbourne: Men’s doubles world number one Robert Farah said on Tuesday that he tested positive for a banned substance, hours after the Colombian pulled out of the Australian Open citing personal reasons.

Farah, 32, said the International Tennis Federation (ITF) informed him that he had tested positive for Boldenona — an anabolic steroid — which he said was the result of eating Colombian meat.

"I will not be able to play at the Australian Open, an event for which I had been preparing since December," Farah, who won last year's men's doubles titles at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, wrote on Twitter here

“A few hours ago the ITF informed me of the presence of Boldenona in a test that I did on 17 October, 2019 in Cali."

“Two weeks before the test mentioned... I did an anti-doping test in Shanghai which had a negative result. And I was also tested at least 15 other times randomly in the international circuit throughout the year with the same negative result.

“As stated by the Colombian Olympic Committee in 2018, this substance is found frequently in Colombian meat and may affect athletes’ test results.”

Farah said he would consult his group of advisors and consider the next steps to prove he did not deliberately consume the banned substance.

“I am calm and confident in the results of this process since I have always acted correctly and honestly in my life,” he added. “I will work harder than ever to return to the courts in the shortest time possible.”

Canada-born Farah, who along with long-time partner and fellow Colombian Juan Sebastian Cabal were the ATP’s doubles team of the year in 2019, had already pulled out of this week’s Adelaide International warmup event.

A Tennis Australia spokeswoman told Reuters that Cabal, 33, was expected to remain in Melbourne and play in the doubles with another partner.

The Australian Open starts on Monday.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Australian Open 2020: Former World No 1 Andy Murray pulls out of tournament after testing positive for COVID-19
Sports

Australian Open 2020: Former World No 1 Andy Murray pulls out of tournament after testing positive for COVID-19

Murray has finished his period of self-isolation and had hoped to compete in the first Grand Slam of 2021 in Melbourne.

Australian Open 2021: Andy Murray tests COVID-19 positive, participation in doubt
Sports

Australian Open 2021: Andy Murray tests COVID-19 positive, participation in doubt

Murray, who has finished runner-up in Melbourne on five separate occasions, is currently isolating at home, and is still hopeful of competing in the tournament.

Australian Open 2021: Denis Kudla tests positive for COVID-19, forced to pull out despite winning qualifier
Sports

Australian Open 2021: Denis Kudla tests positive for COVID-19, forced to pull out despite winning qualifier

The fourth seed learned of the positive test when 5-3 up in the second set against Moroccan Elliot Benchetrit, but was allowed to complete the ninth game.