IOC unable to give certainties amid concern for Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai

Critics have claimed the IOC is enabling a cover-up by China ahead of the state-backed project to host the Winter Olympics in Beijing in February.

The Associated Press December 08, 2021 10:49:51 IST
IOC unable to give certainties amid concern for Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai

China's Peng Shuai has been 'missing' since she posted a message on Chinese social media platform Weibo on 2 November accusing a former vice premier and a close confidant of Chinese president Xi Jinping of forcing her to have sex. AFP

Lausanne: After five weeks of concern about the safety of tennis player Peng Shuai in China, the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday it cannot give any certainties about her case.

The IOC's two video calls with the Grand Slam doubles champion are the only reported contacts Peng has had with people outside China since 2 November when she sent a social media post alleging she was sexually assaulted by a former top Communist Party official.

Critics have claimed the IOC is enabling a cover-up by China ahead of the state-backed project to host the Winter Olympics in Beijing in February.

The IOC faced more questions about Peng on Tuesday at its first news conference since the Women's Tennis Association, which has been unable to speak to her, suspended all of its tournaments in China.

"We can't provide you with absolute certainty on anything," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "All we can do is do the best we can in the process that we believe is in the best interests of the well-being of the athlete."

The Olympic body has repeatedly cited its policy of "quiet diplomacy" as the most likely to succeed with China, whose leader has met and spoken directly with IOC president Thomas Bach since Beijing was picked as host in 2015.

Bach took part in the first video call with Peng, a three-time Olympian, on 21 November. The call lasted 30 minutes and also involved IOC members from China and an athlete representative.

The IOC was criticised after both video calls for providing no video footage or transcripts of the conversations, fueling doubts that Peng was able to speak or travel freely.

"We can't give assurances and we don't know the full facts," Adams said, pointing to a promise on both sides that Peng and Bach will meet for dinner in Beijing in January. "It's a full road map to at least attempt to keep in touch and to see where she is."

The WTA's stance on China was taken after talking with current and former players, and was publicly supported last week by Olympic tennis champion Belinda Bencic.

On social media, the hashtag WhereIsPengShuai has trended and won support from tennis greats such as Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova and Roger Federer.

Asked Tuesday why Peng has not spoken with tennis players or WTA leaders, Adams said: "That I obviously cannot answer because I really don't know."

Bach did not take part in the online news conference, but German news agency DPA published an interview with the Olympic leader on Tuesday.

"And I can assure you that all aspects of this case are being discussed with the Chinese side," Bach said, noting "talks with Chinese sports organisations and official bodies."

The senior IOC member overseeing Beijing's Olympic preparations, Juan Antonio Samaranch, did take questions and said there was a "need to be discreet."

"We have to respect her desire for discretion also in this very difficult moment of her life. And we will do that," Samaranch said at the news conference.

The IOC has repeatedly avoided using words referring directly to Peng's allegations, or the possibility she has restricted freedom. Instead, statements after the video calls cited only "her situation."

Read all the Latest News, Trending NewsCricket News, Bollywood NewsIndia News and Entertainment News here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Updated Date:

also read

Australian Border Force cancels visa of Czech tennis player Renata Voracova, say reports
Sports

Australian Border Force cancels visa of Czech tennis player Renata Voracova, say reports

The 38-year-old player was detained by officials of the Australian Border Force, said reports by national broadcaster ABC, The Age newspaper and the Sydney Morning Herald, all quoting a government source.

Adelaide International 1 2022: Bopanna-Ramkumar enter semi-finals with straight set win, Sania-Kichenok knocked out
Sports

Adelaide International 1 2022: Bopanna-Ramkumar enter semi-finals with straight set win, Sania-Kichenok knocked out

Rohan Bopanna and Ramkumar Ramanathan will clash with the fourth-seeded Bosnian-Mexican duo of Tomislav Brkic and Santiago Gonzalez for a spot in the final.

Defaults, drama and dodgy science: Five Novak Djokovic controversies
Sports

Defaults, drama and dodgy science: Five Novak Djokovic controversies

Australia on Sunday cancelled the visa of Djokovic and left the tennis ace facing deportation on the eve of the 2022 Australian Open. Here's a look at other controversial incidents that have dogged the career of the world number one.