Formula 1: Zhou Guanyu extends contract with Alfa Romeo until 2023
Zhou, the first Chinese driver in the Formula 1, has completed 16 races so far in his debut season and currently sits at the 17th spot on the driver's rankings.
Paris: Chinese driver Zhou Guanyu has extended his contract with Alfa Romeo until the end of 2023, the Formula One team announced on Tuesday before this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix.
“Having made history as the first driver from China to compete in Formula One, Zhou announced himself on the biggest stage in motorsport by scoring points on his debut at the Bahrain Grand Prix,” the team said in a statement.
“During the course of a successful debut campaign, Zhou has demonstrated levels of maturity and race craft that belie his young age.
“With a successful debut season under his belt and the experience that comes with it, Zhou will be aiming to make the next step in his progression.”
Zhou, 23, competed in 16 Grands Prix in his debut season with his best result an eighth place in Canada.
He currently sits 17th in the world championship standings with six Grands Prix left this season, as 33-year-old Finnish teammate Valtteri Bottas is placed 10th.
“Making it to Formula One was a dream come true and the feeling of competing for the first time in a race will live with me forever,” said Zhou.
“There is still a lot to learn, a lot to develop but I am confident in our work. I am looking forward to the next chapter of our story together.”
If F1 returns to the Chinese Grand Prix, it will be the fourth leg of a record 24-race season in 2023.
Mattia Binotto has come under fire after a season in which Ferrari's quest to end a lengthy title famine began encouragingly only to falter in the second half of the year.
Rumours had been swirling about Mattia Binotto's future ahead of the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix as Ferrari failed to mount a serious challenge to Red Bull.