Full text of Article 324: EC invokes provision in West Bengal after TMC-BJP workers clash in Kolkata; campaigning to end at 10 pm tomorrow
The Election Commission on Wednesday announced its decision to implement Article 324 in West Bengal. Here's the full text of Article 324 as defined in the Constitution
The Election Commission on Wednesday announced its decision to implement Article 324 in West Bengal
Bengal had witnessed clashes between TMC and BJP workers on Tuesday during Amit Shah's roadshow in Kolkata
The statue of Bengal icon Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar was also damaged on EC with BJP and TMC accusing each other of vandalism
Citing the violence that took place following BJP chief Amit Shah's roadshow in Kolkata on Tuesday, and the vandalism that followed, including the smashing of the statue of Bengali icon Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, the Election Commission on Wednesday announced its decision to implement Article 324 in the state. It also announced end of campaigning in the final phase of polling in Bengal at 10 pm on Thursday.
Here's the full text of the Article 324, as defined in the Constitution of India:
324. Superintendence, direction and control of elections to be vested in an Election Commission
(1) The superintendence, direction and control of the preparation of the electoral rolls for, and the conduct of, all elections to Parliament and to the Legislature of every State and of elections to the offices of President and Vice-President held under this Constitution shall be vested in a Commission (referred to in this Constitution as the Election Commission).
(2) The Election Commission shall consist of the Chief Election Commissioner and such number of other Election Commissioners, if any, as the President may from time to time fix and the appointment of the Chief Election Commissioner and other Election Commissioners shall, subject to the provisions of any law made in that behalf by Parliament, be made by the President.
(3) When any other Election Commissioner is so appointed the Chief Election Commissioner shall act as the Chairman of the Election Commission.
(4) Before each general election to the House of the People and to the Legislative Assembly of each State, and before the first general election and thereafter before each biennial election to the Legislative Council of each State having such Council, the President may also appoint after consultation with the Election Commission such Regional Commissioners as he may consider necessary to assist the Election Commission in the performance of the functions conferred on the Commission by clause (1).
(5) Subject to the provisions of any law made by Parliament, the conditions of service and tenure of office of the Election Commissioners and the Regional Commissioners shall be such as the President may by rule determine:
Provided that the Chief Election Commissioner shall not be removed from his office except in like manner and on the like grounds as a Judge of the Supreme Court and the conditions of service of the Chief Election Commissioner shall not be varied to his disadvantage after his appointment:
Provided further that any other Election Commissioner or a Regional Commissioner shall not be removed from office except on the recommendation of the Chief Election Commissioner.
(6) The President, or the Governor of a State, shall, when so requested by the Election Commission, make available to the Election Commission or to a Regional Commissioner such staff as may be necessary for the discharge of the functions conferred on the Election Commission by clause (1).
The entire text has been reproduced from the official website of the Ministry of External Affairs and has not been edited by Firstpost for style and clarity.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
West Bengal parties mull anti-BJP alliance: TMC asks CPM, Congress to back Mamata; INC says join forces with us
The BJP, which has emerged as a potent force in the state, said the TMC's suggestion amounted to admission that it was not in a position to take on the saffron party on its own in the assembly polls in West Bengal due in April-May
Bengal polls 2021: Jitin Prasada slams TMC, BJP for 'ego battles', says only Congress committed to protect state's culture
The Congress leader's remarks comes a day after BJP and TMC sought to outdo each other over Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's 125th birth anniversary celebrations ahead of the Assembly polls this year
Modi lauds Netaji at 'Parakram Diwas'; Mamata dismisses event, says Bengalis celebrate it as Desh Nayak Diwas
Both the leaders took part in multiple events in West Bengal's Kolkata in a bid to host the biggest celebration of Subhas Chandra Bose's birth anniversary even as a clash between BJP and TMC workers earlier in the day left several injured in Howrah