West Bengal Election 2021 Voting: Steps to find your name in voters' list and locate polling booth
Each citizen of India who is over 18 years of age and is a domicile of the respective state/UT is ideally eligible to cast their vote in the Assembly polls
West Bengal Assembly Election 2021: Voting will be held for a total of 35 seats today (Thursday, 29 April) in the eight and final phase of the West Bengal Assembly Election 2021.
The state with a 294 member Assembly completed its seventh phase of polling on 26 April.
Votes will be counted on 2 May.
Over the years, the Election Commission has made several arrangements to simplify the polling process for voters. It also runs various awareness programmes to educate voters about due diligence and requirements. However, the fact the polling process is completely electronic and the division of parliamentary constituencies into various Assembly segments and various polling booths can be daunting for first-time voters.
Following is the process to find your name in the list of voters and how to locate your polling booth in the city.
How to check your name on the electoral roll (voters' list)
Each citizen of India who is over 18 years of age and is a domicile of the respective state/UT is eligible to cast his/her vote in the Assembly polls. However, an important step in claiming that right is having yourself registered in the list of voters or electoral roll. If you have signed up for the same, here is how you can verify whether your name is part of the official list of registered voters.
Through the online method
- Log on to the Chief Electoral Officer's website of the respective state or UT and click on the Electoral Roll option
- The electoral roll is available in English, Hindi and the state's language
- Click on Main Roll
- Select your Assembly Constituency based on the part of the city you reside in (or the address mentioned in the documents submitted during registration)
- Select the exact area of the constituency or Part Number depending on your residence (or your registered address falls)
- Fill out the Captcha code and click on submit
- Click on the PDF link delivered after the search and scan for your name from the list arranged in alphabetical order
Through landline/mobile phones
- Calling the Voter Helpline 1950, prefixed by your area’s STD code
- Select your preferred language and follow the instructions by the automated operator
SMS <ECI> space <EPIC No> to 1950 (EPIC stands for Electors Photo Identity Card also commonly known as a Voter ID card). Example - If your EPIC is 12345678 then SMS ECI 12345678 to 1950
Through mobile app
- Android users can download the mobile application from Google Play Store
- iPhone users may visit the App Store and search for voter helpline.
How to locate your polling booth
The most basic unit of the electoral process in India is the polling station, where eligible citizens go to vote for their preferred candidate. To locate your polling booth, voters may use the services of the Voter Helpline App developed by the Election Commission for this purpose.
The voter helpline number 1950 will also help voters locate polling booth. You can call this number after adding the STD code (011 in this case) or get the details by sending an SMS to 1950 with <ECIP011> space <YourEPICNo>.
Additionally, the electoral roll also has the exact address, Google location and photographs of the polling booth.
In a bid to overcome internal challenges and electoral setbacks, the Congress' three-day conclave will focus on time-bound party restructuring for strengthening the organisation and evolving a strategy for future alliances
Appearing for a section of the employees, Bikash Bhattacharya argued that the state's submission of financial inability is not acceptable as it disburses DA to the IAS and IPS who are serving under the direct control of the state government
Ratna Rashid Banerjee returned the ‘Annada Shankar Smarak Samman’ with which she was honoured by the Paschimbanga Bangla Academy in 2019