Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said on Friday that in the last 36 hours, since the beginning of the massive manhunt, for four suspicious men, as claimed to be seen by two school students in Uran near Navi Mumbai has not yielded any positive result so far.
"The search operations will continue and I appeal to the people to not to believe in rumors and maintain calm," Fadnavis said in Pune.
Earlier, Maharashtra Minister of State for Home Affairs Deepak Kesarkar, said that the state won't face a 26/11 type of situation as it is quite prepared to tackle any security situation that may arise due to the lookout for the suspicious men in and around Navi Mumbai.
"The cross-verification is still on. We are checking all CCTV footage gathered from different areas. We are also in touch with the fishing community for any information. The combing operations are still going on. Many state and Central agencies are involved in the process. There is complete coordination among all agencies be it the Force One, National Security Guard, Intelligence Bureau or the local police," Kesarkar said.
On Thursday, the Western Naval Command in Mumbai had issued a high alert along the Mumbai coast after four men in military uniform were spotted moving suspiciously near a naval facility in Uran, about 47 kms from the state capital.
The Western Naval Command (WNC) issued "the highest state of alert" along the Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane and Raigad
coasts after suspicious movement of a group was reported in Uran.
According to initial information received by the authorities, four school students spotted a group of people dressed in uniform similar to that of Indian Army near Uran and Karanja area.
The DGP office immediately issued alerts to all police stations along the coast.
Security has been beefed up at sensitive locations along the coast, including the Gateway of India, Raj Bhawan, Bombay High (rig), Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and other major establishments near the sea.
With inputs from PTI
Updated Date: Sep 23, 2016 20:24 PM