Three militants trapped in ongoing encounter in Jammu and Kashmir's Handwara town; schools, colleges shut

An encounter is ongoing between terrorists and security forces in Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwara district. Three militants, including scholar-turned-terrorist Manan Wani, are believed to have been trapped in an encounter at Handwara in frontier district of north Kashmir, officials said on Thursday.

Giving details emerging from the encounter site, which is taking place at Satgund in Handwara, police and other security forces cordoned off a village following intelligence inputs about the presence of Wani along with two others, they said.

According to sources, internet services have been suspended in the area, and all educational institutions in Handwara have been instructed to be closed on Thursday following the cordon and search operation.

Police were making repeated announcements on the public address system appealing to the militants to surrender, officials said. There was a lull in firing at around 9 am, prompting the police to initiate a search operation at the encounter site, but the same had to be suspended after firing resumed in 15 minutes.

Sources also said that a top militant involved in the encounter has been either trapped or killed.

Wani had gone missing in the first week of January, but had been spotted in a picture on social media later that month which indicated that he had joined the terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.

On 11 September, at least two terrorists were killed in an encounter with the security forces in Handwara. The terrorists were associated with Lashkar-e-Taiba, according to reports. Some arms and ammunition were also recovered from the site.  The militants were identified as Furqan Rashid Lone and Liyaqat Ahmad Lone.

With inputs from agencies and 101 Reporters

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Oct 11, 2018 11:12:37 IST

Also See