Tamil Nadu: 55 students hospitalised after consuming mid-day meal in Erode govt school
A total of 55 students were hospitalised on Thursday when they took ill after consuming noon meal served at a government boys school, police said.
Erode: A total of 55 students were hospitalised on Thursday when they took ill after consuming noon meal served at a government boys school, police said.
The students of the school at Sivagiri complained of vomiting and purging about an hour after they had the meal, they said.
The school authorities rushed the boys to Sivagiri Government Hospital, from where they were referred to Government Headquarters Hospital, they added.
The condition of all the students was stable, doctors said.
The authorities suspect that some poisonous insect or a lizard could have fallen into the food which caused the illness.
Education Department officials inspected the noon meal centre and the kitchen.
They also visited the hospital.
"BJP condoles the death of these children. We demand that the government fix responsibility for this incident and strict action be taken against the guilty," party spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
The two women cooks, who had fainted after tasting mid-day meal at a government school in Bihar, were discharged from hospital today
The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) on Wednesday called for closer monitoring of the mid-day meal scheme while expressing shock over the death of 21 children after consuming poisoned meal at a school in Bihar.