While the Sub-Divisional Magistrate probing the death of Sunanda Pushkar's death has sought a further probe into the incident, the autopsy report in the case has indicated that it was an overdose of drugs that killed her.
The SDM, in his report, said Sunanda could have died in "just three ways, homicidal, suicidal and accidental" and added that police should investigate further to ascertain the reason of her death.
Pushkar's husband Union Minister of State, Shashi Tharoor, has sought that the probe in the case be expedited and has already given his statement to the officer heading the probe. Pushkar's son from a previous marriage had also issued a statement saying he believed Tharoor to be innocent.
Here's what the autopsy report submitted by doctors at AIIMS reportedly said:
- PTI quoted sources as saying that the autopsy report has identified a mix of two drugs -Alprazolam and Excedrin,- which was consumed in overdose by Sunanda. Excedrin is a combination of acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine.
- Doctors said Excedrin contains 65mg of caffeine and its overdose causes caffeine intoxication leading to the weakening of liver while overdose of aspirin may cause bleeding of intestine.
- They said an overdose of Acetaminophen may damage one's liver and even cause death. Alprazolam slows down the movement of chemicals in the brain and an overdose can lead to comatose situation, low blood pressure and shallow breathing.
- The report also mentions a "deep teeth bite" on the edge of the left palm apart from mentioning over a dozen injury marks. However, the report ruled out Sunanda's death due to these injuries.
- Reuters reported that the report said there were 15 injuries on Pushkar's upper body, but were described as small marks and didn't result in her death.
- The report said that she had died between 1 PM and 7 PM on 17 January.
- The report said that no traces of alcohol were found in her body.
- Sources said what caused the poisoning and what sort of drug was involved will be clear after the viscera report is received
Updated Date: Jan 23, 2014 09:24:55 IST