Srinagar BSF camp attack: 'No attack on airport,' says IGP Munir Khan after security forces kill two militants

Jammu and Kashmir Police IG, Munir Khan on Tuesday said that the successful coordination between the security forces helped eliminate the two terrorists who were holed up in a BSF compound at Humhama in Srinagar as early as possible without any collateral damage.

Militants had managed to enter the 182 Battalion camp in the city's Humhama area, and launched the attack at 4.30 am, according to police sources.

File image of IG Munir Khan. PTI

File image of IG Munir Khan. PTI

Speaking to reporters in Srinagar, Khan complimented the BSF for taking quick action against the militants before other reinforcements could be brought in. "The attack was effectively repulsed in first go. One terrorist was neutralised immediately," Khan said.

He also added that while one was killed, two other terrorists were able to sneak through the administrative block of the BSF camp due to darkness.

"The operation began when the attack was detected. Afterwards, the Jammu and Kashmir Police and CRPF joined in. The 53 Rashtriya Rifles helped in cordon the outer area during the operation," Khan said.

He also said that at least one of the terrorists was hiding in the administrative block of the BSF compound before he was eliminated. BSF lost one of its ASIs in the attack.

Jaish-e-Mohammed is likely behind the attack, said Khan, adding that these terrorists had infiltrated through Pakistan's Shakargarh district in July. Khan also added that the Jammu and Kashmir Police is looking for at least six to seven terrorists who had infiltrated in July.

Khan, however, clarified that there was no attack on the airport (as initial reports had claimed) and requested scribes to apply restraint while reporting in the initial stages of an operation.

"There was no attack on the airport. I request the media to be responsible. It is a serious issue which may harm tourism in the state," Khan said.

Khan said that militant attacks can be expected in the state as long as Pakistan is India's neighbour.

Airport operations were suspended in the morning due to the gunfight but later resumed as security forces managed to limit the action around the building where the militants were holed up. "Normal flight operations have resumed and passengers were boarding flights," said director, Airport Authority of India, Srinagar, Sharad Kumar. The camp which came under attack on Tuesday belonged to BSF's 182 battalion specifically entrusted with the security of the runway of the Srinagar airport.

Home minister Rajnath Singh also congratulated security personnel for successfully neutralising the terrorists. "I have spoken to the Director General of CRPF and BSF. The operation was efficiently pulled off by the CRPF and BSF. One terrorist is yet to be neutralised," he told News18.

With inputs from PTI

Updated Date: Oct 03, 2017 16:07 PM

Also See