Seven Naval officers indicted in Sindhuratna mishap

New Delhi: Seven Naval officers were indicted following a probe into the fire that occurred on board submarine INS Sindhuratna earlier this year, which left two personnel dead and led to the resignation of former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi.

Disciplinary action against these officers has been initiated at the Western Naval Command Headquarters, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.

 Seven Naval officers indicted in Sindhuratna mishap

Indian Navy divers are pictured at the conning tower of the stricken INS Sindhurakshak, after the submarine sank following an explosion at the naval dockyard in Mumbai. AFP

"The BOI report in case of INS Sindhuratna has found seven officers culpable of various acts of omission and commission," he said.

On 26 February this year, there was a fire on board INS Sindhuratna when it was at sea off Mumbai for routine training and inspection.

Joshi had resigned the same day, taking “moral responsibility” over the spate of mishaps involving Naval assets.

Giving the details of 14 August, 2013, accident in which an explosion occurred on board another submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, resulting in her sinking and the loss of life of 18 personnel, Parrikar said that the examination of the BOI in the case was not yet completed.

The BOI report is still with the Naval headquarters, he added.

PTI

Your guide to the latest cricket World Cup stories, analysis, reports, opinions, live updates and scores on https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2019.html. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates throughout the ongoing event in England and Wales.

Updated Date: Nov 25, 2014 19:09:59 IST