Sajjan Kumar's appeal for surrender deadline extension just a 'delaying tactic', says 1984 anti-Sikh riot victim
Former Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, convicted in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case, tried using 'delaying tactics' by appealing to the Delhi High Court to extend his surrender deadline, a riot victim said
New Delhi, Dec 21 (PTI) Former Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, convicted in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case, tried using "delaying tactics" by appealing to the Delhi High Court to extend his surrender deadline, a riot victim said Friday.
Nirpreet Kaur also said Kumar had been trying to escape punishment for 34 years but was caught.
The high court Friday dismissed Kumar's plea for extension of time till January 30 to surrender. On 17 December, he was sentenced to life imprisonment in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case and the court had asked him to surrender by 31 December.
"He has been escaping justice for 34 years. He says he needs one month to settle his family, what was he doing for 34 years," Kaur said.
She said Kumar was trying to escape from punishment for his crimes, but has finally been "caught". But, "even now he is using delaying tactics", the riot victim said.
On December 17, Kumar had moved a plea seeking extension of time to surrender in the case.
The case relates to killing of five Sikhs in Raj Nagar part-I area in Palam Colony in South West Delhi on 1-2 November, 1984, and burning down of a Gurudwara in Raj Nagar part II during that period.
The riots had broken out after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on 31 October, 1984 by her two Sikh bodyguards.
SC directs Tripura Police not to take any coercive action against 2 lawyers, journalist booked under UAPA
The bench passed the order in response to a petition filed by the two lawyers Mukesh Kumar and Ansarul Haq Ansar, and journalist Shyam Meera Singh to quash the FIR filed against them.
'Stop passing the buck': SC slams Delhi govt on pollution; asks Centre, CAQM to submit plan by Wednesday
"The way we expected executive will discuss and come with a solution hasn’t been done. This is unfortunate," the bench said.
World Boxing Championship: Likely to re-examine decision on selected players for Turkey, BFI tells Delhi High Court
On 10 November, the court had issued notice to BFI and Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports on the petition by the Arundhati Chowdhary who challenged her non-selection and claimed that Lovlina Borgohain had been selected without a trial for the world championship