New Delhi: Supporting the CBSE governing body's move to make the Class X Board exams compulsory from 2018, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar on Wednesday said it was discriminatory to allow seven lakh students to opt out of the board exams when nearly two crore others were taking them.
Interacting with journalists in Delhi, he said the HRD Ministry will take forward the recommendations made by the CBSE governing body.
He said there are around two crore students across the country who complete their Class X education every year. Out of these, 1.93 crore students take the exams conducted by different boards, whereas seven lakhs opt out of it. This kind of discrimination is not proper, Javadekar said.
He said that there had been popular demand from many schools, parents and education bodies to have a system where there is board exams for all.
CBSE students at present have the option to choose between Board exams and school-based exams in Class X, but on Tuesday the CBSE governing body decided to make the Board exams compulsory for all students from academic session 2017-18.
"We will duly consider it and pass it so that from March, 2018 we will have Board examination for all. Because it was an anomaly in a way. You cannot have discrimination like that," Javadekar said.
He also said that the HRD Ministry had circulated a Cabinet note for inter-ministerial consultations to various ministries on the proposed changes in 'No Detention' policy under the Right to Education (RTE) Act.
He said that while it has been decided to introduce exams from Class VI, the HRD Ministry wants a system where the students do not have to waste their entire year.
According to sources, the ministry has proposed that there should be a provision for re-examination in case a student cannot clear the exam in the first attempt so that he or she can be promoted.
Responding to questions on the CBSE's decision to recommend to the HRD ministry that the three language formula should be extended to Classes IX and X from the current VI to VIII, Javadekar dismissed as baseless apprehensions that the government intends to force students to study any particular language.
The HRD Minister said the 'Vittiya Saksharta Abhiyan' of his ministry was getting "a very emphatic response" and that nearly one-and-a-half lakhs volunteers had joined the move to promote digital transactions.
Responding to a question on allegations levelled by Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi against Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Javadekar said there is no need to responded to "false and baseless statements made by frustrated leaders".
Taking a jibe at Rahul, he claimed the rug has actually got pulled off the feet of those leaders who wanted to bring an earthquake.
Javadekar also honoured a team of his ministry officials after his ministry's website was adjudged as one of the best among government departments
Updated Date: Dec 21, 2016 22:21:22 IST