Pilgrimage to Badrinath to resume by 30 Sept: Bahuguna
Pilgrimage to Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri shrines in calamity-hit Uttarakhand will resume by 30 September, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has said.
Dehradun: Pilgrimage to Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri shrines in calamity-hit Uttarakhand will resume by 30 September, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has said.
This is the first time that the state government has announced plans to resume the pilgrimage to the Himalayan shrines since the floods ravaged the state on 16 June.
Bahuguna, who visited Guptkashi in Rudraprayag district yesterday, assured the flood-affected families that pilgrimage to Gangotri, Yamunotri and Badrinath will resume by September 30 by which time the BRO hopes to restore the routes to these Himalayan shrines, an official release said today.
The BRO authorities have assured the government that damaged roads leading to these famous shrines will be fully repaired by September 30 when the annual pilgrimage can be resumed, the chief minister said.
He said the NDRF is busy removing the debris from Kedarnath on a war footing and the progress will be reviewed every ten days.
Over 800 people have been killed in flash floods that hit Uttarakhand last month. Most of those killed were pilgrims visiting the Kedarnath and Badrinath shrines.
The glacier burst reportedly took place "along a road leading to the India-China border" in the Sumna area of Chamoli district and senior officials of the Border Road Organisation are trying to establish contact with the workers
Uttarakhand's Chardham Yatra postponed amid COVID surge; portals of temples to open for priests only
The decision comes at the time that the Uttarakhand government is facing criticism for allowing the 'super spreader event' Kumbh Mela to go ahead despite a surge in cases
The court also directed the state government to step up COVID-19 testing by deploying mobile vans in interior regions and increase the number of COVID hospitals