Banned outfit ULFA(I) claims responsibility for four grenade explosions in Assam on Republic day
Four powerful grenade explosions: three in Dibrugarh and one in Charaideo districts, rocked Assam on Sunday morning as the country celebrated Republic Day, police said.
Four powerful grenade explosions: three in Dibrugarh and one in Charaideo districts, rocked Assam on Sunday morning as the country celebrated Republic Day, police said
In Dibrugarh district, an explosion took place at Graham Bazar and another beside a gurudwara on AT Road, both under Dibrugarh police station
Another explosion rocked the oil town of Duliajan whose details are still awaited, police said
Guwahati: Banned outfit ULFA (Independent) has claimed responsibility for the four powerful explosions in Assam earlier on Sunday prior to Republic Day celebrations in the state.
The ULFA(I), in a statement signed by Lt Joy Asom of its Publicity Department, claimed that all the four blasts were carried out by the outfit.
The Paresh Barua-led ULFA(I), along with a few other militant outfits of the Northeast, had called for a boycott of the Republic Day celebrations in the region.
Four powerful explosions - three in Dibrugarh and one in Charaideo districts - had rocked Upper Assam on Sunday morning, as the country celebrated its 71st Republic Day. All four blasts occurred in a span of 10 minutes - between 8.15 and 8.25 am, a police officer said.
There has been no report of any casualty, as Republic Day is a holiday, people were mostly indoors, he said. The first blast was reported outside a shop at Teokghat in Sonari police station area of Charaideo district.
Three explosions followed soon after in Dibrugarh district - two at Graham Bazar and AT Road, beside a gurudwara, and another at the oil town of Duliajan Tiniali, just 100 metres from the local police station, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Padmanabh Barua told PTI.
CCTV footages available at Duliajan Tiniali showed two motorcycle-borne youths lobbed a grenade and sped away, the ASP explained. The blasts at Graham Bazar and AT Road were carried
out with time-induced Improvised Explosive Devices, he stated.
Taking to Twitter, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal condemned the blasts and vowed to take strong action against the culprits.
Strongly condemn the bomb blasts in a few places of Assam. This cowardly attempt to create terror on a sacred day only exhibits the frustration of the terror groups after their total rejection by the people.
Our Govt will take the sternest action to bring the culprits to book.
— Sarbananda Sonowal (@sarbanandsonwal) January 26, 2020
A source in the chief minister's office said Sonowal has asked Assam Director General of Police Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta to deal with the situation and nab the culprits involved in the explosions at the earliest.
Manipur Chief Minister flagged off the vehicles carrying relief materials from Kangla Gate in state capital Imphal.
Nearly three lakh people have been affected by an acute shortage of food, clean drinking water and medicines as almost the entire Silchar town is submerged in flood waters, officials said
The worst affected districts are Barpeta where 11,29,390 are affected, followed by Kamrup with 7,89,496, Dhubri with 5,97,153 and Nagaon with 5,03,450 people in the flood