Navi Mumbai and Pune metro corridors will bring much-needed relief to commuters; lines to connect suburbs with city centres
The metro corridors are being launched along with other infrastructure and housing projects worth Rs 41,000 crore by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Mumbai and Pune residents will soon get the much-needed connectivity boost, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi slated to launch two metro projects in both cities on Tuesday. While Mumbai will see the launch of Mumbai Metro's Line-5 or the Thane-Bhiwandi-Kalyan corridor and Metro 9 on the Dahisar-Mira-Bhayander route, in Pune the new metro corridor would run between Hinjewadi and Shivajinagar. The projects are being launched along with other infrastructure and housing projects worth Rs 41,000 crore by Prime Minister Modi ahead of the crucial Lok Sabha and state Assembly elections next year.
Let's take a look at some features of these corridors:
- The Thane-Bhiwandi-Kalyan stretch is a 24.9 kilometre corridor and will be built at an estimated cost of Rs 8,416 crore. It will have 17 stations.
- This stretch is expected to carry around 2.29 lakh commuters every day in 2021. The entire system will have six coach trains.
- The Dahisar-Mira-Bhayander line will run 10.3 kilometre and is to be built at an estimated cost of Rs 6,607 crore.
- It will have eight stations and is expected to be completed by 2022.
- Both these projects are being executed by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority.
- The Mira-Bhayander suburbs are currently connected to Mumbai via the suburban railways. When the metro-9 line is ready, commuters will be able to take metro up to Mira-Bhayander from south Mumbai.
- The metro 9 will be integrated with metro-7 (Dahisar to Andheri) and metro 2A (Dahisar and DN Road). It will also connect the Gaimukh-Shivaji Chowk (Mira Road) metro-10.
- The Hinjewadi-Shivajinagar route, on the other hand, is estimated to be built at a cost of Rs 8,313 crore.
- It will be a 23-kilometre-long corridor and will connect the busy information technology part with Shivajinagar, where the other two metro lines will also join.
- This project is being jointly executed by Tata Realty Infra and Siemens.
With inputs from agencies
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
PM Narendra Modi, biopic starring Vivek Oberoi, to re-release on 15 October post reopening of theatres
PM Narendra Modi producer Sandip Ssingh says the controversies at the time of the film's initial release in May 2019 had impacted its box-office performance.
Centre launches mass COVID-19 awareness drive; India's tally crosses 68 lakh, Delhi surpasses 3 lakh cases
The recovery rate among COVID-19 patients also climbed to 85.25 percent as 58,27,704 persons have recuperated from the infection so far, the Union health ministry said.
Congress demands BS Yediyurappa's resignation over corruption allegations against kin, seeks judicial probe
Citing media reports, Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi on Sunday alleged that the BJP government in Karnataka is "engulfed in the clutches of corruption with dented, tainted leaders ruling the roost"