Malegaon blast case: Col Purohit to rejoin army during bail period, will remain under suspension

Purohit is likely to report back to the unit from where he was arrested. His suspension will thereafter be reviewed, the sources said.

IANS August 21, 2017 17:26:40 IST
Malegaon blast case: Col Purohit to rejoin army during bail period, will remain under suspension

New Delhi: Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast who was granted bail by the Supreme Court, will be attached to an Army unit but will remain under suspension from service, informed sources said on Monday.

Malegaon blast case Col Purohit to rejoin army during bail period will remain under suspension

File image of Colonel Purohit. CNN IBN

The Supreme Court earlier on Monday granted bail to Purohit, who spent nine years in prison. The Malegaon blast had killed seven people.

Purohit was suspended from service on 20 January, 2009, after his arrest.

The sources said he continues to be under suspension, but since he has now been ordered to be released on bail, he has to be attached to an Army unit.

He is likely to report back to the unit from where he was arrested. His suspension will thereafter be reviewed, the sources said.

Under suspension, he will be treated as "under open arrest", wherein usually a soldier is supposed to wear only his uniform. Purohit, under suspension, can wear civilian clothes as well.

His stay in his Army unit will come along with restrictions, like limited area of movement, not leave the station without permission and reporting daily.

He will also not be allowed to attend any public event or gathering.

Purohit's return to active duty will depend on the final verdict in the case, the sources said.

On Monday, Supreme Court Justices RK Agrawal and Abhay Manohar Sapre granted bail to Purohit after telling him not to tamper with evidence.

The suspended Army officer had challenged the April 25 Bombay High Court order that granted bail to co-accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur but rejected his bail plea.

Seven persons were killed in the explosion in Malegaon in Nashik district in Maharashtra on September 29, 2008.

The investigating agencies had earlier attributed the blast to right-wing group Abhinav Bharat.

Updated Date:

also read

'Wholly uncalled for': SC slams Kerala government over relaxations granted for Bakrid
India

'Wholly uncalled for': SC slams Kerala government over relaxations granted for Bakrid

The apex court pulled up the state government for giving in to traders' pressure by granting relaxations ahead of Bakrid and said it disclosed a "sorry state of affairs"

Pegasus row: Mamata Banerjee accuses Centre of trying to estalish 'surveillance State'
India

Pegasus row: Mamata Banerjee accuses Centre of trying to estalish 'surveillance State'

The West Bengal chief minister also urged Opposition parties to come together to defeat the BJP in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections

Kanwar Yatra: Why SC has told UP to clarify stand on nod and debate surrounding pilgrimage
India

Kanwar Yatra: Why SC has told UP to clarify stand on nod and debate surrounding pilgrimage

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has urged that only a minimum number of people should participate in the yatra and directed strict implementation of COVID-19 norms