Lucknow special court sentences two men to life imprisonment in 2007 court blast case, imposes Rs 5.10 lakh fine each

Special Judge Babita Rani had declared Tariq Kajmi and Mohd Akhtar guilty on Thursday and fixed on Monday for awarding the quantum of punishment. She sentenced them to life imprisonment on Monday and imposed a fine of Rs 5.10 lakh each. The court was conducting the trial in district jail, Lucknow. Both the accused have already been in jail for 11 years.

Press Trust of India August 28, 2018 08:27:48 IST
Lucknow special court sentences two men to life imprisonment in 2007 court blast case, imposes Rs 5.10 lakh fine each

Lucknow: A special court on Monday sentenced two men to life imprisonment and imposed a heavy fine on them in connection with the 2007 court blasts case in the Uttar Pradesh capital.

Special Judge Babita Rani had declared Tariq Kajmi and Mohd Akhtar guilty on Thursday and fixed on Monday for awarding the quantum of punishment. She sentenced them to life imprisonment on Monday and imposed a fine of Rs 5.10 lakh each. The court was conducting the trial in district jail, Lucknow. Both the accused have already been in jail for 11 years.

Lucknow special court sentences two men to life imprisonment in 2007 court blast case imposes Rs 510 lakh fine each

Representational image. Reuters

Pronouncing the verdict, the court observed the accused had not only attacked the judiciary but also conspired to wage war against the country, which was serious offences. Joint Director of ATS Subhash Chandra Singh and senior public prosecutor Atul Kumar Ojha had demanded death penalty for the convicts, while the lawyers of the accused, Arif Ali and Furkan Khan, pleaded for leniency, saying they had been in jail for last 11 years.

The third accused in the case, Khalid Mohd, had died during the course of the trial and the fourth accused, Sajjadur- Rehman, was earlier given a clean chit. According to government lawyers Pravin Srivastav and MK Singh, the accused had been charged for sedition, criminal conspiracy and attempted murder which were offences under the Indian Penal Code.

They had also been booked under the Explosive Substances Act and the Prevention of Unlawful Activities Act. The court convicted the two accused for all these offences. The prosecution produced 44 witnesses in support of its case, while the defense examined its three witnesses.

A series of blasts had taken place in courts at Lucknow, Faizabad and Varanasi on 23 November 2007. Several people died in Varanasi and Faizabad but there was no casualty in Lucknow. For Lucknow blasts, the FIR was registered in the Wazirganj police station on same day.

During the course of the probe, on 22 December 2007, the STF arrested Tariq Kajmi of Rani ki Sarai village in Sarai Meer police station area of Azamgarh. Mohammad Akhtar of Kashmir were arrested on 27 December. The STF had then said the four were operatives of Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI). Later, the Lucknow court blast case was transferred to the anti-terror squad (ATS) which submitted the charge-sheet against the accused in April, 2008.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Forty-three inmates in two Muzaffarnagar jails test positive for COVID-19
India

Forty-three inmates in two Muzaffarnagar jails test positive for COVID-19

The latest infections - 22 in the district jail and 21 in a temporary jail - took the number of infected jail inmates in the district to 400, officials have said.

In Uttar Pradesh, arrest and search 'without a warrant' under this new special forces rule
India

In Uttar Pradesh, arrest and search 'without a warrant' under this new special forces rule

Officials said that this is a 'dream project' of CM Adityanath. "The basis of this force is an order of the High Court, which had ordered that there should be a specialised force for civil courts. In all, there will be 9,919 personnel in the force," officials said

RTI reponse reveals over 18 lakh ration cards applications pending in UP; 56.8% requests rejected
India

RTI reponse reveals over 18 lakh ration cards applications pending in UP; 56.8% requests rejected

The large backlog of pending ration card applications and the return of more than 30 lakh migrant workers to Uttar Pradesh during the COVID-19-induced lockdown is a worrying combination, especially when many have lost their means of livelihood