Karan Nagar encounter: Operation enters final stage as security forces kill one of two terrorists in Srinagar

The encounter between terrorists holed up in a building in Karan Nagar area of Srinagar and security forces resumed on Tuesday morning after an overnight lull. The exchange of fire between the terrorists and the security forces resumed at daybreak, a CRPF official said. The gunfight has now gone on for over 20 hours.

News18 quoted Zulfiqar Hasan, IG Operations as saying, "we are operating cautiously to avoid any collateral damage to citizens and property."

According to CNN-News18, intermittent gunbattle was underway between the unidentified militants and security personnel. One terrorist was reported killed on Tuesday as the operation entered its final stages. India Today reported that the area has been cordoned off while the CRPF is using drones to track the militants.

The official said the security forces were preparing for a final assault on the terrorists when they opened fire.

Two Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militants were holed up inside an under-construction building in Karan Nagar area since Monday after they were forced to withdraw and later trapped inside the building following their failed terror bid on a CRPF camp. The militants had entered this building after an alert sentry at the observation post of 23 Battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) spotted them and fired.

A CRPF jawan was killed while a constable of the Special Operations Group (SOG) of the Jammu and Kashmir Police was injured in the exchange of fire on Monday. The CRPF has claimed that it thwarted the attempt by the terrorists to attack its camp in Karan Nagar area.

Karan Nagar. Representational image. Reuters

Representational image. Reuters

In the wake of the ongoing operations, the administration had suspended mobile internet services in Srinagar and heavy security was also deployed across the state, reported CNN-News18.

Militancy incidents are coming with an alarming frequency in the state as the terror attack was averted by alert guards at the entrance of an army camp in Jammu on Tuesday.

Two motorcycle-borne militants approached the entry point of the army camp in Domana area around 4.30 am. They fired towards the sentry post. As the guards retaliated the terrorists were forced to flee, informed sources in the police said. "A search operation is now underway to trace the militants," they said.

Both these incident comes days after Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorists attacked another army camp in Sunjwan area of Jammu, killing seven people including six soldiers. Three militants were also killed in retaliation by the army. Ten others, including six women and children, were injured.

A group of heavily armed terrorists entered the Sunjuwan army camp on 10 February after hurling grenades and using automatic gunfire. Three terrorists, all of them Pakistan nationals who managed to enter the Junior Commissioned Officer's residential quarters, were killed in the anti-terror operation by the security forces.

With inputs from agencies

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Feb 13, 2018 12:04:31 IST

Also See