Jaipur serial blasts case: Court convicts four, acquits one due to lack of evidence; hearing on quantum of punishment tomorrow

  • A special court in Jaipur on Wednesday found four accused guilty in connection with the 2008 Jaipur serial bomb blasts that had left 70 people dead and 185 injured

  • However, one of the accused was acquitted by the court.

  • Arguments on quantum of punishment will take place on Thursday.

A special court in Jaipur on Wednesday found four accused guilty in connection with the 2008 Jaipur serial bomb blasts that had left 70 people dead and 185 injured. However, one of the accused was acquitted by the court.

 Jaipur serial blasts case: Court convicts four, acquits one due to lack of evidence; hearing on quantum of punishment tomorrow

File image of four people convicted in Jaipur blasts case. News18

Arguments on quantum of punishment will take place on Thursday.

The four -Mohammad Saif, Mohammad Sarwar Azmi, Mohammad Salman and Saifurrehman were convicted under IPC sections 302 (punishment for murder), 307 (Attempt to murder), 324 (causing hurt by dangerous weapons, means), 326 (causing hurt by acid attack), 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 121-A (Conspiring to commit certain offences against State), 124-A (sedition), 153-A (promoting disharmony) and sections of Explosive Substances Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, public prosecutor Srichand said.

He said the court has given benefit of doubt to the fifth accused Shahbaz Hussain and acquitted him.

"The court has acquitted Shahbaz Hussain because the allegation against him could not be proved. The rest four have been convicted under section 120 (B) of IPC for conspiracy," Suresh Vyas, amicus curiae for Hussain told, reporters.

Hussain was accused of sending an email taking responsibility for the blasts. He was picked up by police from Lucknow in August, 2008 and had been in judicial custody in Jaipur since then.

Apart from these five, three accused involved in the blast - Shadab, Mohammad Khalid and Sajid - are still absconding while two accused, Mohammad Atif and Chhota Sajid -- were killed in the Batla house encounter in Delhi in September 2008.

The serial blasts had rocked Jaipur on May 13, 2018. The blasts took place at Manak Chawk Khanda, Chandpole Gate, Badi Chaupad, Chhoti Chaupad, Tripolia Gate, Johri Bazar and Sanganeri Gate, all inside the walled city of Jaipur which left 70 people dead and 185 injured.

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

Updated Date: Dec 18, 2019 15:41:25 IST