High court issues notice to those discharged in 2006 Malegaon blasts case

The Bombay High Court on Thursday issued notices to eight persons who were discharged earlier this year from the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts case, seeking response to a petition filed by the Maharashtra government against their discharge

PTI November 17, 2016 21:57:17 IST
High court issues notice to those discharged in 2006 Malegaon blasts case

Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday issued notices to eight persons who were discharged earlier this year from the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts case, seeking a response to a petition filed by the Maharashtra government against their discharge.

The state has moved the high court in appeal against the order of sessions court discharging the eight accused, all Muslims.

In April, the sessions court here discharged these men of all terror charges after the National Investigation Agency submitted that the blasts were the handiwork of a Hindu extremist group.

The state government, however, urged the high court to set aside the order.

The division bench of justices RV More and Shalini Phansalkar Joshi issued notices to the eight persons and sought their replies in four weeks.

In its appeal, the government said the sessions court's order was illegal and unjust and was contrary to the evidence on record.

The state claimed the trial court's conclusion that Muslims would not plant bombs inside a mosque was wrong and had no legal basis.

The serial bomb blasts outside a cemetery near Hamidia mosque at Malegaon, near Nashik, on 8 September 2006, claimed 37 lives and injured over 100 people.

Updated Date:

also read

Bombay HC quashes cheating cases against Sahil Khan filed by Ayesha Shroff
Entertainment

Bombay HC quashes cheating cases against Sahil Khan filed by Ayesha Shroff

The Bombay HC quashed the two FIRs after Sahil Khan's lawyer and Ayesha Shroff told the court that they had settled the dispute between them amicably

Bombay HC dismisses Kangana Ranaut's plea in Javed Akhtar defamation case
Entertainment

Bombay HC dismisses Kangana Ranaut's plea in Javed Akhtar defamation case

Bombay HC has dismissed Kangana Ranaut's plea that sought quashing of the complaint registered against her by Javed Akhtar

Bombay HC seeks Salman Khan's reply on Kamaal R Khan's plea in restrain order
Entertainment

Bombay HC seeks Salman Khan's reply on Kamaal R Khan's plea in restrain order

Kamaal Khan in his plea said a film viewer cannot be prohibited from making comments about a film or its characters.