Goa government to provide compensation for Cyclone Ockhi-hit shacks having legal validity
The Goa government will provide compensation to shacks having legal validity, for the damages suffered during the Cyclone Ockhi last week
Panaji: The Goa government will provide compensation to shacks having legal validity, for the damages suffered during the Cyclone Ockhi last week.
The shack owners, whose establishments suffered damages following high tide during the cyclone, had earlier decided to approach the state tourism department to seek compensation for their losses.
The office of North Goa's district magistrate had also done a preliminary assessment of the damage caused in Pernem and Bardez talukas, where several prominent beaches, including Morjim, Arambol, Candolim, Baga and Calangute, are located, an official release earlier said.
State revenue minister Rohan Khaunte on Saturday said he is still waiting for the reports from collectors of North Goa and South Goa districts to ascertain the exact amount of losses suffered by the shacks.
He said the state government is clear in its stand that only those shacks which have legal validity would be provided the compensation.
After the devastating high tide, the tourism business, meanwhile, is getting back to normal with Christmas and New Year celebrations around the corner.
"The shack owners have almost finished reconstructing their structures which were washed away due to the ingress of water. The business is getting normal on the coast. We have tourists coming in," Manuel Cardoso, the general secretary of Goa Traditional Shack Owners' Association told PTI on Saturday.
He said shack owners have spent from their savings to ensure the business is not lost during the peak season.
"The claims for the compensations would be filed from tomorrow (Sunday) onwards," Cardoso added.
The state government has said that the affected shack owners would be compensated after a proper survey is conducted jointly by officials of tourism and revenue departments and coastal zone management authority.
However, some shack owners are wary of filing claims as they fear being blacklisted by the tourism department for running their establishments in zones prone to natural calamities.
A senior official of the tourism department, however, said the shacks, whose cases will be taken up for compensation, will not be blacklisted.
"If they are illegal, then they will not be getting compensation and will face action. But if they are legal they need not worry," he said.
You talkin' to me? How Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant topped teenagers' gangrape at Benaulim with two shocking self-goals
Goa needs to attack and clean up its dark underbelly before another Scarlett Keeling murder or Benaulim gang rape hits its stunning shores
Earlier the Goa health minister had said on 11 May that 26 persons had died within 24 hours at the GMCH due to oxygen shortage.
He also said that he was deeply pained by the incident and would ensure that the accused in the case get the “most stringent punishment under the law”.