First batch of pilgrims departs for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra from Sikkim; will reach Nathu La on 20 June

The first batch of 33 pilgrims, on their way to Kailash Mansarovar via Nathu La pass in Sikkim, was flagged off from Gangtok on Saturday.

Press Trust of India June 16, 2018 20:41:29 IST
First batch of pilgrims departs for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra from Sikkim; will reach Nathu La on 20 June

Gangtok: The first batch of 33 pilgrims, on their way to Kailash Mansarovar via Nathu La pass in Sikkim, was flagged off from Gangtok on Saturday.

Additional Chief Secretary SC Gupta flagged off a Sikkim Nationalised Transport (SNT) bus carrying the pilgrims for their onward journey. There are two routes for the yatra - through Lipulekh pass (Uttarakhand) and Natu La pass (Sikkim).

First batch of pilgrims departs for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra from Sikkim will reach Nathu La on 20 June

Representational image. News18 Hindi

The route via Sikkim was stopped by China in the aftermath of the military face-off with India last year at Doka La.

The yatra, which holds religious value and cultural significance, is undertaken by hundreds of people every year. A welcome and briefing session was held at a local hotel a day after the pilgrims arrived here from Delhi. The batch also has two Liaison officers.

This is the fourth year of the pilgrimage from Sikkim. Gupta apprised the pilgrims about the rules and regulations and urged them to cooperate with each other as well as the supporting staff.

The Tourism and Civil Aviation Secretary CP Dhakal, ITBP DIG KD Dwivedi, ITBP Deputy Commandant Ganesh Rohtela, Sikkim Mountaineering Association president Kunzang Gyatso also interacted with the pilgrims.

The pilgrims will stay two days at 15th mile and another two days at Sherathang for acclimatization. There will be a final medical check at Nathu La on 20 June before they cross over to China.

Updated Date:

also read

China's global sporting dominance hurt by COVID-19 curbs
Sports

China's global sporting dominance hurt by COVID-19 curbs

With the exception of the Winter Olympics — held in a virus-secure, closed-loop Beijing bubble — China has cancelled or postponed almost all events since Covid emerged in Wuhan in late 2019.

G7 countries reiterate concern over unilateral actions by Beijing in East and South China Seas
World

G7 countries reiterate concern over unilateral actions by Beijing in East and South China Seas

The G7 countries also raised the issue of human rights situation in China, particularly in Xinjiang and Tibet

Will not allow anyone to harm iron-clad Pakistan-China ties, says Pakistan foreign minister Bilawal Bhutto
World

Will not allow anyone to harm iron-clad Pakistan-China ties, says Pakistan foreign minister Bilawal Bhutto

Bilawal reiterated his strong condemnation of Karachi terrorist attack and reaffirmed the Government's commitment to thoroughly investigate the incident