Farmers' long march from Nashik to Mumbai to continue as talks with Maharashtra government remain inconclusive

The farmers' long march from Nashik to Mumbai will continue after their leaders' late night parleys with Maharashtra government to address their demands remained inconclusive, the march organisers said on Thursday.

Press Trust of India February 21, 2019 12:57:57 IST
Farmers' long march from Nashik to Mumbai to continue as talks with Maharashtra government remain inconclusive
  • The march could not be taken out Wednesday as police stopped many farmers from reaching Nashik, the AIKS claimed

  • Farmers have embarked on a 180-km march from Nashik to Mumbai for the second time in the last 12 months

  • The AIKS also said it is opposed to the multi-billion dollar Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project

Mumbai: The farmers' long march from Nashik to Mumbai will continue after their leaders' late night parleys with Maharashtra government to address their demands remained inconclusive, the march organisers said on Thursday.

Farmers have embarked on a 180-km march from Nashik to Mumbai for the second time in the last 12 months to protest against what they termed as the "betrayal" of peasants by the BJP governments at the state and centre. The Kisan Long March-2, expected to take over nine days to complete, is being organised by the CPM-backed All India Kisan Sabha (AIKS).

Farmers long march from Nashik to Mumbai to continue as talks with Maharashtra government remain inconclusive

Representational image. News18

The march could not be taken out Wednesday as police stopped many farmers from reaching Nashik, the AIKS claimed. Maharashtra minister Girish Mahajan met some AIKS representatives in Nashik Wednesday night. "We held talks with the minister for over three hours. The government appeared positive to 80 percent of our demands.

The minister said he would speak to Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis first," AIKS president Ashok Dhawale said. Dhawale said Mahajan informed AIKS representatives that the assurances would be given in writing. "The AIKS has decided to go ahead with the march beginning Thursday morning till the government does so," he added.

Dhawale said police were also present during the meeting with Mahajan. They (police) are not going to stop the farmers now, he added. Mahajan could not be reached for his comment. The AIKS has accused the government of not fulfilling assurances given to farmers last year after they marched between the two cities, seeking farm loan waiver, minimum support price for crops, irrigation facilities and provision of pension to agriculturists.

The AIKS also said it is opposed to the multi-billion dollar Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project which has seen several farmers along the proposed route approach court against land acquisition.

Updated Date:

also read

COVID-19: Mumbai administers first dose to 100% adult beneficiaries
India

COVID-19: Mumbai administers first dose to 100% adult beneficiaries

Maharashtra health minister Rajesh Tope said 92,36,500 people in the metropolis have received the first dose, while 59,83,452 have got the second dose as well

NCP leader files sedition complaint in court against Kangana Ranaut over 'azaadi' remark
India

NCP leader files sedition complaint in court against Kangana Ranaut over 'azaadi' remark

Yusuf Parmar, national general secretary of the NCP's minority wing, filed the complaint at the magistrate court at suburban Borivali under IPC Section 124A

Maharashtra records 686 fresh COVID-19 cases, 19 deaths; toll at 1,40,602
India

Maharashtra records 686 fresh COVID-19 cases, 19 deaths; toll at 1,40,602

Maharashtra's case recovery rate now stands at 97.64 percent and the fatality rate is 2.12 percent.