'Execution case will be given top priority,' SC says after 2012 Delhi gangrape convict seeks urgent hearing against rejection of mercy plea by President
Death row convict in the 2012 Delhi gangrape and murder case Mukesh Kumar Singh moved the Supreme Court on Monday seeking urgent hearing on his plea against dismissal of his mercy petition by the President
2012 Delhi gangrape and murder case convict Mukesh Kumar Singh moved the Supreme Court seeking urgent hearing on his plea against dismissal of his mercy petition by the President
The warrant for execution of death sentence for the four convicts in the case has been fixed on 1 February at 6 am
The apex court had also rejected the curative petition of another death row convict Akshay Kumar
New Delhi: Death row convict in the 2012 Delhi gangrape and murder case Mukesh Kumar Singh moved the Supreme Court on Monday seeking urgent hearing on his plea against dismissal of his mercy petition by the President.
The mercy plea of 32-year-old Singh was dismissed by President Ram Nath Kovind on 17 January. A bench headed by Chief Justice SA Bobde said, "If somebody is going to be hanged then nothing can be more urgent than this."
The bench also comprising Justice BR Gavai and Justice Surya Kant said that if someone is to be executed on 1 February, then it is a matter of top priority and asked Singh's counsel to approach the mentioning officer as the hanging is scheduled on 1 February. "Execution case will be given top priority," the bench said.
The warrant for execution of death sentence for the four convicts in the case has been fixed on 1 February at 6 am. Singh had moved the mercy plea after the Supreme Court dismissed his curative petition against his conviction and death sentence. The apex court had also rejected the curative petition of another death row convict Akshay Kumar (31).
The other two convicts, Pawan Gupta (25) and Vinay Kumar Sharma are yet to file curative petitions before the Supreme Court.
A 23-year-old physiotherapy intern was gang-raped and savagely assaulted on the night of 16 December, 2012, in a moving bus in South Delhi. She died of her injuries a fortnight later in a Singapore hospital.
Six people - Mukesh Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Kumar Singh, Pawan Gupta, Ram Singh and a juvenile - were named as accused. The trial of the five adult men began in a special fast-track court in March 2013. The prime accused, Ram Singh, allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in Tihar jail days after the trial began.
The juvenile, who was said to be the most brutal of the attackers, was put in a correctional home for three years. He was released in 2015 and sent to an undisclosed location amid concerns over a threat to his life. The juvenile, when released, was 20 years old. Mukesh, Vinay, Akshay and Pawan were convicted and sentenced to death in September 2013.
On Saturday, a Delhi court said that no further directions were required on a plea by the lawyer of the death row convicts alleging the prison authorities were not handing over certain documents required to file mercy and curative petitions, and disposed of the petition.
Additional Sessions Judge Ajay Kumar Jain said the convicts' lawyer can take pictures of the relevant documents, diary and paintings from the Tihar jail authorities. The court had noted that the jail authorities had already complied with the request made by the convicts by supplying the documents whatever was lying with them.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply
The decision came days after Centre issued regulations for social media firms, making it mandatory for them to identify originators of messages that threaten India’s security and sovereignty
Heirs of woman's father entitled to inherit her property under Hindu Succession Act, says Supreme Court
The top court gave the ruling after a widowed woman's decision to transfer her share of her husband's property in favour of her brother's son was challenged in court
A bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R S Reddy was informed by the counsel for the Maharashtra govt that a second supplementary chargesheet has been filed in the case