Delhi University to forensically examine applicants' educational certificates from this year; varsity to also issue smart IDs to students

The University gave the direction to various colleges for a forensic test of applicants' documents Tuesday after a meeting of its admission committee. The varsity will also provide colleges a list of empanelled agencies from where they can have the documents checked forensically.

Press Trust of India May 29, 2019 11:15:13 IST
Delhi University to forensically examine applicants' educational certificates from this year; varsity to also issue smart IDs to students
  • The Delhi University has decided to put the marksheets and other academic documents of students seeking admission to its colleges to forensic test this year

  • The varsity will also provide colleges a list of empanelled agencies from where they can have the documents checked forensically

  • The varsity is also contemplating to issue smart identity cards to its students from this year

New Delhi: The Delhi University has decided to put the marksheets and other academic documents of students seeking admission to its colleges to forensic test this year. The varsity took the decision in the run-up to the start of the admission process from Thursday.

Delhi University to forensically examine applicants educational certificates from this year varsity to also issue smart IDs to students

Representational image. News18

The University gave the direction to various colleges for a forensic test of applicants' documents on Tuesday after a meeting of its admission committee. The varsity will also provide colleges a list of empanelled agencies from where they can have the documents checked forensically. The varsity's admission committee, however, is yet to finalise the agency to hold the entrance tests for admission to its various courses, said officials, attributing it to the delay in the start of the admission process. A meeting, however, is scheduled with the National Testing Agency officials on Wednesday, and the task is likely to be assigned to the NTA, he added.

The varsity is also contemplating to issue smart identity cards to its students from this year. "Till now, different colleges issued different identity cards. From this year, the identity cards will look similar but have the name of the individual colleges stamped on it," he said.

Some colleges in the past issued identity cards to their students over six months after the admission, so a need to introduce smart I-card has been felt, he added. The university has also tied up with the Central Board of Secondary Education this year to gain direct access to the Class 12 results of students. This would enable the university to directly check the authenticity of mark sheets of the applicants claiming to have passed out from a CBSE-affiliated school.

"More than 80 percent of the students applying to the varsity for admissions are from the CBSE and we will have to carry out an examination of documents of the remaining 20 percent of the students. In case documents submitted by a student is found fake, a case will be filed with the police," the official said.

In 2018, the Delhi Police had registered an FIR against former Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) president Baisoya for allegedly furnishing fake mark sheet to get admission in the Delhi University.

Updated Date:

also read

CBSE Board Results 2021: What is the new evaluation criteria for Class 12 students, and when and where to check score
India

CBSE Board Results 2021: What is the new evaluation criteria for Class 12 students, and when and where to check score

As per the new evaluation criteria for assessing CBSE Class 12 students, the board results will be declared based on marks scored during Class 10, Class 11 and Class 12 theory exams and as marks scored during practical exams

Why CBSE evaluation model should consider marks obtained in institutionalised exams to prevent data fudging
India

Why CBSE evaluation model should consider marks obtained in institutionalised exams to prevent data fudging

The method prescribed by the Board to pick the highest marks scored by a student in any three subjects is confusing as the subject might not be connected to the stream for which the student may be evaluated