Delhi Police to probe threatening calls to scribe after AAP minister tweets his phone number
Delhi Police's Special Cell will probe the alleged threatening calls and messages received by mediaperson Dipak Chaurasia.
New Delhi: Delhi Police's Special Cell will probe the alleged threatening calls and messages received by mediaperson Dipak Chaurasia after his phone numbers were tweeted by AAP minister Kapil Mishra.
A case was registered at south Delhi's Hauz Khas police station on a complaint by Chaurasia's wife Anusuiya Roy earlier on Wednesday.
A senior police officer said the case has been handed over to the Special Cell as it is equipped with a fast surveillance system needed to track numbers, even from abroad.
The calls on Chaurasia's number were made from India as well as abroad, including from Canada.
"A criminal case under Sections 506 (criminal intimidation), 507 (criminal intimidation by an anonymous communication), 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman), 354D (stalking), 34 (Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of IPC has been registered at Safdarjung Enclave on the complaint of Anusuiya Roy, wife of Deepak Chaurasia, Editor-in-Chief, India News," said the officer.
Roy alleged that on the intervening night of 13-14 September between 11 pm and 4 am, Chaurasia received threatening calls and messages from unknown numbers.
The complaint also mentioned that the calls and messages started after Mishra tweeted Chaurasia's two mobile numbers.
"Investigation has been taken up. Serious efforts are on to identify the culprits. The calls on Chaurasia's number were made from India as well as abroad including Canada and the numbers are being verified," said the officer.
"We have registered the case against unknown persons only and the name of the minister is not there in the FIR," the officer added.
The incident happened after the mobile numbers of the Delhi government ministers were flashed in a programme on chikungunya hosted by Chaurasia on his channel.
Afterwards, Mishra retaliated by tweeting Chaurasia's number on his own twitter handle.
"Dear Dipak Chaurasia you just showed my personal number on your channel. I think this should not be one sided affair so I will share both your numbers. Enjoy," Mishra tweeted before giving the number on his handle asking followers to retweet the numbers.
Later, however, he deleted his tweet containing Chaurasia's numbers.
Delhi government's Health Minsiter Satyendar Jain too complained that he received 138 calls after his mobile number was flashed by Chaurasia on TV.
"138 calls received since 12.00am after my personal mobile no. flashed by Deepak Chaurasia on TV(Sic)," Jain tweeted.
138 calls received since 12.00am after my personal mobile no. flashed by Deepak Chaurasia on TV.
— Satyendar Jain (@SatyendarJain) September 14, 2016
Phased reopening of Delhi started with allowing construction and manufacturing activities from 31 May, in view of declining numbers of coronavirus cases and positivity rate
COVID-19 lockdown: Delhi Metro resumes services at 50% capacity after AAP govt announces 'unlock' guidelines
Delhi Metro operations were fully suspended since 20 May in view of the COVID-19 lockdown, which was first imposed on 19 April and successively extended by the govt
Terming the decision to reject the scheme "politically motivated", the Delhi government said that the doorstep delivery of ration scheme would have benefitted 72 lakh ration cardholders in the National Capital