Chennai: Gas leak from faulty AC suffocates family to death; eight-year-old child among dead

Chennai: Three of a family, including an eight-year-old boy, died Monday night after they inhaled gas which leaked from a malfunctioning air conditioner, police said Tuesday.

Representational image. AFP

Representational image. AFP

They said the 35-year-old man, his wife and son were residents of Thiruvalluvar Nagar at Koyambedu in the city. Neighbours grew suspicious as the family did not open the door for a long time on Tuesday and alerted police, who later broke it open to find the three bodies.

Initial investigations revealed that the couple had turned on the inverter Monday night as there was a power cut in the area, a senior police officer told PTI.

The power supply was restored around midnight, but the couple and the child died after they inhaled gas which leaked from a malfunctioning air conditioner, he said.

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Oct 03, 2018 07:27 AM

Also See