Chamarajanagar food poisoning: Karnataka Police confirms presence of pesticide in prasad that killed 13

Chamarajanagar: Presence of pesticide Monocrotophos was found in the prasad that was consumed by devotees at Maramma temple in Chamarajanagar, Karnataka on 14 December which led to the death of 13 people and many admitted to the hospital.

People admitted to a hospital in Chamarajanagar. ANI

People admitted to a hospital in Chamarajanagar. ANI

"The test conducted at Food Safety Lab has indicated the presence of Monocrotophos, a pesticide used on plants. Further investigation is underway," confirmed Inspector General of Police, South Zone, Sharat Chandra on Tuesday.

State minister Puttaranga Shetty on 15 December confirmed the arrest of two people in connection with the incident.

Meanwhile, the state government has announced Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia to the kin of the deceased. Also, the government will incur the affected people's treatment expenses.

Sharing details of the incident, Karnataka chief minister HD Kumaraswamy informed that Principal Secretary and Commissioner have instructed the district health officials of Mandya and Mysore to provide all possible help to the health administration in Chamarajanagar.

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Dec 18, 2018 21:46:24 IST

Also See