At least 11 people, including a 15-year-old girl, died after consuming 'prasad' (holy offering) at a temple in Chamarajanagar in Karnataka, reports said.
— ANI (@ANI) December 14, 2018
Earlier, the news agency had said that 72 people were hospitalised due to food poisoning and that at least 11 of them were in critical condition.
The food poisoning took place in the morning when the 'prasad' was distributed after a 'puja' at the Maramma temple, ANI said, quoting Chamarajanagar Superintendent of Police, Dharmendra Kumar Meena.
Though the Chief Minister's Office confirmed the toll at 11, according to Times of India, the number of dead could be higher.
Karnataka chief minister HD Kumaraswamy said the principal secretary and commissioner have instructed district health officials of Mandya and Mysore to provide all possible help to health administration in Chamrajnagar.
"Concerned programme officer is monitoring calls at 108 call centre and coordinating the services of ambulances. Commissioner has instructed ADC Mysore to provide services of private ALP ambulances. Two senior officers are on the way from state HQ to coordinate and supervise activities," Kumaraswamy said in a tweet.
ANI reported that the state government has announced Rs 5 lakh ex gratia to the next of the kin of the deceased. Medical treatment of others will be taken care of by the state government, the state government said according to the news agency said.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Dec 14, 2018 21:58:52 IST