Centre releases fresh video of army's 2016 surgical strikes across LoC ahead of event's second anniversary, says 'footage is authentic'

New Delhi: The government on Thursday released a fresh video clip of the 2016 surgical strikes on terror launch pads in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, two days ahead of the military action's second anniversary.

The video of the surgical strikes is authentic, an Information and Broadcasting Ministry official said.

The clip, which was made using overhead footage from unmanned aerial vehicles or UAVs and thermal imaging, shows a terror launch pad being destroyed.

In June this year, several TV channels showed purported video clips of the surgical strikes.

The fresh video comes amid the government's plans to celebrate the second anniversary of the strikes in a big way.

On 29 September, 2016, the Indian Army carried out surgical strikes on seven terrorist launch pads across the Line of Control (LoC) as a response to an attack on its base in Uri earlier that month.

The Army had said its special forces inflicted "significant casualties" on terrorists waiting there to cross into Indian territory.

Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced last week that various events will be held from 28 to 30 September to commemorate the valour of soldiers.

This will also include a three-day exhibition at India Gate, she said.

The University Grants Commission (UGC) also directed varsities and higher educational institutions across the country to observe 29 September as "surgical strike day".

A political row broke out over the UGC communication to varsities.

However, the Centre has said it is not compulsory for universities and higher educational institutions to celebrate the second anniversary of the surgical strikes.


Updated Date: Sep 28, 2018 08:55 AM

Also See